Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see all you cool kats and kittens with a new bow every year. Why? Why you guys so quick to say your bows amazing only to pony up a grand plus for a new rig. Makes zero sense to me. They say a bow sting needs changed after 3 years or so. How many folks have had to replace a bow string?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Generally I keep bows for 5 years at least so my strings get changed. The only way I buy a new bow is if it gives me something I want that my old bow can’t.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I keep the same bow as I’m deadly with my current rig and well, um, I’m pretty cheap. I’d rather put more money into the stock market or on my farm mortgage as opposed to buying a redundant toy.

A lot of people are the same way with cars, trade up into a brand new one every year or two, and set fire to several grand every time they drive off the lot. By comparison, a new bow every year isn’t near as bad of a financial move.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I normally keep a bow long enough to need new strings. I have no problem if someone buys a new bow every year. Not sure why anyone would have a problem or worry about how someone else spends their money?

·
wood scientist
935 Posts
Yes, the last 2 bows I have. One of them has had 4 string changeouts, and the other will get one in a couple of weeks. I suppose a string will last an average of 3 years at the rate I shoot.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
If people enjoy archery that much and like to tinker who gives... in the grand scheme it isnt that expensive. Im a gun collector and Im also getting into long range performance... wanna talk about dropping coin to see a teeny 1/8” hole in something at 1000yds hahahaha...

I enjoy bow hunting a lot, its what I do the most when in the woods bu far. Im still using a Carbon Defiant, will probably keep another few years. I dont see that much of a drastic spec difference in the new offerings... not enough to kill a deer thats 20yds away. If I shot target archery as much as I do guns, it would probably be different.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I bought an old stock synergy last fall and before that a switchback xt since new. Yea, I keep bows long enough for multiple string changes. I will be keeping the synergy until it won't shoot anymore. I enjoy getting so much time with a bow that it becomes an extension of me and my minds eye. I feel so confident when I pick up my bow. Both of these bows for me, leave nothing to be desired.

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Sometimes if I hang onto a certian bow. Right now it is a PSE Phenom, it will be due for it's third set.

·
<<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,014 Posts
My Z7(s) aren't going anywhere soon. Killed piles of stuff with them. On my 5th or 6th set of strings on both.

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
I normally keep a bow long enough to need new strings. I have no problem if someone buys a new bow every year. Not sure why anyone would have a problem or worry about how someone else spends their money?
Agreed.....^^^ A friend was a diehard bowhunter and then hurt his draw shoulder. He tried a crossbow and really doesn't care for it much, so he has invested in a renewed passion for firearms the past several years. Who am I....or YOU.....to evaluate the manner in which someone spends their money? I don't buy new bows, but that doesn't for a second mean that those who do are foolish or impulsive....it is simply what they enjoy doing.

On the other hand, I enjoy those folks because I find really good savings on year old bows without funding the depreciation. At that point, I often put on a new set of strings....Catfish Customs typically. This spring I had Mike build the second set for my 17 OB Phoenix XL....so yes, I keep bows long enough to restring. :noidea::argue:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I usually buy a new bow every year, but it’s only because I truly enjoy archery and I can afford it. I quit drinking and smoking 11 years ago. Back then it was a 20$ a day habit. So by comparison, it’s cheaper then my old habit.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
I have a couple bow that I have put several sets of stings on. I have also went through a bunch of bows that just were not right for me

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I get a new to me bow once or twice a year. No matter how much i like something, i grow bored of the same thing over and over. I wouldn’t pay the money to have a brand new bow every year. Can’t afford it, but i can 100% see why someone else would. I like fresh stuff. They’re also not paying a grand each time. They’re normally selling their old bows for 75% to 80%. So realistically they’re only paying $200 to $300 a year for the latest bows on the market.

I buy my bows a couple years used for 350 to 400 and sell them for around that price also. I basically pay nothing to have a fresh killing machine every season’ haha

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
most of the time i do not, i have a serious incurable disease, bow-buy-itus, usually they are gone in 1 to 2 years, lol
i did just order some strings for my Evolve 35, that i have had for 3 years, and just enjoy to much to sell, so to answer your question i guess every once and awhile.
it has been a very long time since i have shot any bow with stock strings though.

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
Yes, exactly! Why do people care so much about what other people do? Ridiculous. MYOFB.

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
I see all you cool kats and kittens with a new bow every year. Why? Why you guys so quick to say your bows amazing only to pony up a grand plus for a new rig. Makes zero sense to me. They say a bow sting needs changed after 3 years or so. How many folks have had to replace a bow string?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Seems like lately all you want to do is complain about what other people are doing. Maybe stop posting for a while. Otherwise somebody will make more threads mocking you.

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Seems like lately all you want to do is complain about what other people are doing. Maybe stop posting for a while. Otherwise somebody will make more threads mocking you.
Reminds me... we haven't had a heavy vs light arrow thread in a while

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I keep the same bow as I’m deadly with my current rig and well, um, I’m pretty cheap. I’d rather put more money into the stock market or on my farm mortgage as opposed to buying a redundant toy.

A lot of people are the same way with cars, trade up into a brand new one every year or two, and set fire to several grand every time they drive off the lot. By comparison, a new bow every year isn’t near as bad of a financial move.
good analogy. Both cars and bows drop in value quick!

I buy used and hold onto them for a while

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I get a new to me bow once or twice a year. No matter how much i like something, i grow bored of the same thing over and over. I wouldn’t pay the money to have a brand new bow every year. Can’t afford it, but i can 100% see why someone else would. I like fresh stuff. They’re also not paying a grand each time. They’re normally selling their old bows for 75% to 80%. So realistically they’re only paying $200 to $300 a year for the latest bows on the market.

I buy my bows a couple years used for 350 to 400 and sell them for around that price also. I basically pay nothing to have a fresh killing machine every season’ haha
how many things do we buy which cost this much $1000+ and lose 20%+ of their value in one year?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts