Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't see many bows 50 lb bows coming up in the classifieds, why is that? You also don't see many short draw flagship bows out there either. and no I really don't know why that is, that's why I'm asking. Does anyone have any theories?

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
You can seldom sell a 40/50 bow these days would be my guess.
I'd been shopping for limbs, finally had to buy new.

As for short draw availability, most would rather shoot a couple inches too long for the speed.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Maybe they figured out they don’t have to MAN UP and shoot 70 so they don’t have to get rid of their bows once a year to the newest smoothest bow out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, very hard to sell.....better off just buying lower poundage limbs. I don't mind turning a 60# down to 50# but would prefer to just purchase 50# limbs and shoot off the top end. That way you've got a back up set.
As to the draw length.....the only thing I can think of is there isn't nearly as many draw specific cams nowadays. You see a lot of people saying they can get you a so and so length mod if needed, etc.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I have sold numerous 50lb models over the past few years with no issues. Elite Answer, Hoyt nitrum turbo, and Elite I34. No problem with prices received either.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
You can seldom sell a 40/50 bow these days would be my guess.
I'd been shopping for limbs, finally had to buy new.

As for short draw availability, most would rather shoot a couple inches too long for the speed.
Had no problem selling my last 2 50 lb bows. Soon to be a 3rd, my centergy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
The 50 pounders and below are probably not for sale because the shooters love em.... The #60 on ups, though, probably go on the market in droves because their owners can't take the pain anymore and are selling to get a 50 pounder or lower :).

That's why I have to buy new 97% of the time - I've not yet found a need for a bow with heavier than 40lb limbs on it and once I find a model that I like and that's available with a 40lb limb option, I never get rid of it. Because I can actually shoot it; no need to get rid of it for another that's too heavy to shoot.

lee.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Perhaps its based on percentages of new sales? Maybe there are more 50-60+ bows sold new, so there are more of them ending up in the used market. Then, maybe its "easier" to hand down a lower weight bow to youth shooters.

As for DL, I don't look at many manufacturers, but I think many of the recent higher-end BowTechs go down to 25-26" and the number of adults below that is a fairly small percentage. Below that people might be looking for youth models that are less expensive and more adjustable.

·
Registered
51,117 Posts
Agree a 50# and sub max limit bows is a harder resale. That is why I buy 60# bows and turn them down. Being left handed doesn't help for resale either.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
What is your definition of short draw? Because All I'm seeing are these 26 or 27 inch draw bows for sale in the left handed classifieds! I've even been looking for some PCXL #2 cams for my Prime Rival, but all I tend to see for sale is #5 and #6 it seems.

As for the 50# bows, I think most shooting #50 are probably shooting 60 max turned down. I know I ended up buying 60# max bows, and for hunting or outdoor shooting I tend to have them maxed, but for indoor, I really wish I had bought 50# max limbs. If I ever purchase a new dedicated indoor bow again, it will get ordered with 50# limbs or lower.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
You don't see many bows 50 lb bows coming up in the classifieds, why is that? You also don't see many short draw flagship bows out there either. and no I really don't know why that is, that's why I'm asking. Does anyone have any theories?
Probably because 70lb bows outsell most other draw weights!

·
Registered
24,094 Posts
I've been casually shopping for a particular bow for the past six weeks.....a bow that is billed as a 3D/target bow due to the ATA....but only find it in 65 or 70# DW. I shoot right around 60 and would likely end up swapping limbs so I can keep it close to maxed out. That adds another layer of cost and complexity to the purchase, which is the reason I am still shopping rather than having bought one already. At this juncture, a 50# max would not interest me either, as I am primarily a bowhunter that shoots year around.

In regards to DL available, it seems as though the folks who thought it was cool to draw longer figured out that it results in form and tuning issues. So gradually the short draw folks are looking in their best DL, despite admitting it is below 28". I've shot Prime bows with DL specific cams, but like my Obsession for the fact that it has interchangeable mods.....much less work to change DL.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
Maybe they figured out they don’t have to MAN UP and shoot 70 so they don’t have to get rid of their bows once a year to the newest smoothest bow out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it has alot to do with manning up (Well maybe for a few guys, But they'll never shoot good anyways), God made man but he did not create them equal! A good friend of mine is 6-6 340lbs and not a touch of fat on him, He'd be able to draw a 100lb full throttle all day long if they made it, I say shoot as heavy as you can while still being totally comfortable!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
'Man up' is appropriate.That's the usual reason many(most?)overbow when starting.And it WILL get the vast majority of those if they stay in the sport.Most doubt that but wait and see.The human body,trained or not,wears.Shoulders joints etc were never designed for repetitive strain.Most will see in time-and pay the price.
50 yrs ago my ego and deranged brain needed the heaviest longbow or recurve available.When wheels came out I needed the heaviest available(anyone want a Jennings 'Elephant Bow'?)
I paid for the unnecessary foolishness and now shoot 54-60 lbs.With pain.The foolish will eventually join me.

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
Maybe try looking in the Women's and Youth bows in the classifieds if you're looking for 50lders. ;)

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
In regards to the weight I believe that is due to the fact that the sport is dominated by adult males. 60 lbs is a nice easy weight for most adult males to shoot comfortably for extended periods of time. Therefore no real reason to drop lower. The short draw is an obvious answer. Most adult males do not fall into the short draw category. A minority number are shooting SD so therefore not many will be seen for sale.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
As people get older and the body starts telling you that you ain't the stud you used to be, you ease off in an effort to save the shoulders.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I think it is probably because there are far fewer 50 pound bows sold in the first place. I'm sure that will change in the future. I'll be in the market in the near future for a 50 pounder. I've already been tempted to pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts