Archery Talk Forum banner

Young 12pt ?

1913 44
I believe he's got potential.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
still fairly young, maybe 3 1/2. give him a couple and he'll be massive!!!!

Narrow nose and jawline, not much for sway back, neckline not quite filled out yet. Yep 3 1/2

· Registered
2,947 Posts
He is a good looking buck, if you like him and he gives you a shot take him.. If you think he will make it another year if you pass, then let him have another year.. Either way it's a nice buck, good luck this year...

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep

I think 3.5 as well. Not much of a belly, sway back, or chest. He also does not have the mass of a fully mature deer.
Give that guy 2 more years and WOW!!! :eek:

Lien2
Thats exactly what I'm thinking, I've killed half a doz. deer or so that would weigh around the 200 mark, and all of them, their necks went right to their brisket. My only hope is I don't see him until next year or the next. I have alot of trail cam pics of mature bucks, but this one I believe has the potential to be a sure enough good one.

5,152 Posts
I think 3.5 as well. Not much of a belly, sway back, or chest. He also does not have the mass of a fully mature deer.
Give that guy 2 more years and WOW!!! :eek:

Lien2
this is the stupidiest thing I ever heard...If that deer was to walk by my stand Id put him down even it he was only 1.5 years old...You never know what might happen to him otherwise...IM POSITIVE THAT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO POSTED " GIVE HIM 2 YEARS" WOULD SHOOT HIM FIRST TIME THEY SEEN HIM....NO DOUBT

· Registered
1,494 Posts
this is the stupidiest thing I ever heard...If that deer was to walk by my stand Id put him down even it he was only 1.5 years old...You never know what might happen to him otherwise...IM POSITIVE THAT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO POSTED " GIVE HIM 2 YEARS" WOULD SHOOT HIM FIRST TIME THEY SEEN HIM....NO DOUBT
Im not sure calling his statement the stupidest thing you ever heard was the right thing to say. At no point did he say he wouldn't shoot him. I would tend to agree in two years he is a sure enough giant however that said if he walks by this year he is going to get stuck. Lien2 never said he wouldn't shoot him simply implied that in two years this buck would be a absolute giant.

Anyway back to the topic.....great pic of a great deer. I would never pass on him if I were you but i would agree that 3.5 is a fair assessment of his age. Good luck and keep us posted.

· Miller Time
3,801 Posts
I would tend to agree 3.5 at best but I have been fooled before....It's hard to say, I think passing him might be a mistake but the hopes of what he might become would weight heavy on my mind....

· Registered
2,821 Posts
i would plug him in a heartbeat if he was around here, the brown army and the roads claim a lot of deer, i don't risk decent-good bucks just so the deer can get larger the next deer, hopefully once i have my own land i can let deer walk though

· Registered
2,616 Posts
This is the statement of someone who thinks all things are the same everywhere as they are in their own back yard. Stupid my friend is not being able to see anything past the end of your own nose.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
If what lien2 said was the stupidest thing you've ever heard then you ain't heard much in your life. :confused:

I agree with him. Deer looks at least 3.5 years old. Just a bit of a belly and sway back showing, not much though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.