Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Chill R, MBG 5 Pin Ascent, QAD, Tightspot, Easton FMJ, Slick Trick
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to be building a new whitetail arrow and thought it would be fun to hear what others are using or have built in the past. For ease and consistency, copy this and fill in your info:

Arrow:
Spine:
GPI:
Length:
Vanes/Feathers:
Insert/outsert weight:
Head weight/type:
Overall weight:

Then tell us the pros and cons to your setup.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill R, MBG 5 Pin Ascent, QAD, Tightspot, Easton FMJ, Slick Trick
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Arrow: Easton FMJ Match Grade
Spine: 300
GPI: 12
Length: 31”
Vanes/Feathers: 3 blazers
Insert/outsert weight: 50g brass insert
Head weight/type: 100g Muzzy 3 blade
Overall weight: 555 grain

Pros: hits like a hammer. Straight.
Cons: Slow, large pin gaps and possible trajectory issues in thick timber. If I misjudge yardage by just a few yards +/- then I’m missing the deer.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,260 Posts
Bow: Mathews V3 31 @ 78lbs
Arrow: GT Black Eagle
Spine: .300
GPI: 9.3
Length: 28.5"
FOC: 17.9%
Nock: GT .246 plus Black Eagle Nock collars
Vanes/Feathers: Bohning X vanes 3" Max Helical
Insert/outsert weight: 12 Gr GT
Insert Weights: GT Fact system 50 gr+20 gr brass Insert weights.
Head weight/type: 100 Gr Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blade
Overall weight: 478 gr

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Arrow: Black Eagle Rampage
GPI: 8.23 at 60lb draw weight
Length: 29"
Vanes/Feathers: 3" vanes
Insert/outsert weight: 75 insert / 25 Iron Will sleeve
Head weight/type: 100 QAD Exodus
Overall weight: 497

This is whitetail hunting only and have thought about dropping down to 430-450 range to get a little more speed from my 60 lb bow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arrow: Victory VF TKO V1
Spine: 350
GPI: 8.7
Length: 28'' CTC
Vanes/Feathers: TAC Driver 2.75", 3 fletch
Insert/outsert weight: 42gn
Head weight/type: 100gn Montec
Overall weight: 420gn
Pros: bellcurve style arrow, easy to tune.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Arrow: Victory VAP gamer

Length: 29.25”

Vanes/Feathers: 3 fletch AAE Max Stealth/white reflective wrap

Insert/outsert weight: Victory 95 gn SS outsert

Head weight/type: 100 gn. Have shot Annihilator, SEVR, wasp jak hammer, grim reaper, g5 deadmeat

Overall weight: 485

PROS: I haven’t calculated the FOC but I’m guessing it’s in the neighborhood of 16ish %. With that being said I have shot 8 deer with this setup between 10-37 yards and have had a pass through on each one. I used the same arrow to kill 4 of the deer. These arrows are coming out of a 16’ elite synergy (not a fast bow) at 29.5”. I haven’t had any issues with the outserts warping/bending like some others have. They all spin true. Can’t say enough about the quality of victory arrows. A couple of underrated features….1) they come spine aligned from the factory. This helped me cut down on tuning time significantly. 2) they leave the fletching end of the arrow without their slick coating for better vane/wrap adhesion. I don’t fanboy but I will say that I’ve sold victory a lot of arrows without commission lol.

CONS: they end up being fairly expensive after wrap, fletch, outserts etc.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I’m going to be building a new whitetail arrow and thought it would be fun to hear what others are using or have built in the past. For ease and consistency, copy this and fill in your info:

Arrow:
Spine:
GPI:
Length:
Vanes/Feathers:
Insert/outsert weight:
Head weight/type:
Overall weight:

Then tell us the pros and cons to your setup.
Arrow: Victory VAP Gamer
Spine: .300
Length: 31" (Nock throat to tip of insert)
Vanes/feathers: 3 helical Blazers
Insert/outsert weight: 35 grain (standard Shok)
Head weight/type: 150 grain Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4-blade
Overall weight: 478 grains

Pros: Optimal balance of speed, KE, momentum, FOC% (16). Excellent tunability out to 80 yards.

Cons: I haven't discovered any yet.

I'm currently shooting this arrow out of my 2014 Bowtech Carbon Knight (my backup bow, because I recently discovered of significantly frayed cable on my primary). Specs: 335 IBO, 30.75" DL (with Lucky Stops), 65#, 286 fps.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Arrow: Victory Rip XV
GPI: 7.0
Length: 28"
Vanes/Feathers: 3 AAE Max Stealth
Insert/outsert weight: 220 grains or 120 grains
Head weight/type: 100 grains or 200 grains
Overall weight: 564 grains

Pros: I like the FOC personally arrows shoot well and dont get effected by cross winds very much.

Cons: It took me a ton of time to figure out this set up where it flew out of my bow well. Probably built 5 dozen arrows before I got it right.

Youtube.com/chestthumperoutdoors

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Arrow: Victory VAP gamer

Length: 29.25”

Vanes/Feathers: 3 fletch AAE Max Stealth/white reflective wrap

Insert/outsert weight: Victory 95 gn SS outsert

Head weight/type: 100 gn. Have shot Annihilator, SEVR, wasp jak hammer, grim reaper, g5 deadmeat

Overall weight: 485

PROS: I haven’t calculated the FOC but I’m guessing it’s in the neighborhood of 16ish %. With that being said I have shot 8 deer with this setup between 10-37 yards and have had a pass through on each one. I used the same arrow to kill 4 of the deer. These arrows are coming out of a 16’ elite synergy (not a fast bow) at 29.5”. I haven’t had any issues with the outserts warping/bending like some others have. They all spin true. Can’t say enough about the quality of victory arrows. A couple of underrated features….1) they come spine aligned from the factory. This helped me cut down on tuning time significantly. 2) they leave the fletching end of the arrow without their slick coating for better vane/wrap adhesion. I don’t fanboy but I will say that I’ve sold victory a lot of arrows without commission lol.

CONS: they end up being fairly expensive after wrap, fletch, outserts etc.
Yeah. I've been building/shooting VAPs and VAP TKOs for 6 years. I've never had any issues with Victory inserts bending/warping, unless I shoot them into rocks, even with the old Penetrator inserts. (I still have at least 5 of those left, that have been shot hundreds of times into bag and block targets).

I saw an AT discussion on this bending/warping issue a while back. Most people having it were using melt type adhesives to install inserts. My hypothesis is: the target impact friction causes enough heat to at least partially melt the glue, allowing the inserts to move within the shafts, while the arrows are still flexing and oscillating on impact. I've always used permanent type insert adhesives. Most others who used permanent glues didn't have this issue either.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
26,163 Posts
Might be advantageous to also list bow specs to give a frame of reference to the setup.
'19 Elite Ritual 35, [email protected]"

Arrow: Easton Axis/Aftermath
Spine:340
GPI:9.6
Length:28.25"
Vanes/Feathers: three Blazers with 4.5" cap
Insert/outsert weight: 18gr stock insert
Head weight/type: 100gr: TOTA, German Jager, Trophy Taker A-tac, Shuttle-T
Overall weight: 425gr

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bow: Mathews V3 27, 28.5”, 60lbs
Arrow: Easton Axis 5mm Match Grade
GPI: 10.7
Length: 28.75”
Vanes/Feathers: Blazers with 3* helical
Insert/outsert weight: 5mm HIT, 16 gr
Head weight/type: 125 gr Grim Reaper Pro Series Micro Hybrid
Overall weight: 490 gr
Speed: chrono’d at 250 fps

Pros: Good balance of FOC, momentum, KE. Tunes really well out of my bow.

Cons: None yet. Haven’t taken a deer with them yet, so I can’t say.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah. I've been building/shooting VAPs and VAP TKOs for 6 years. I've never had any issues with Victory inserts bending/warping, unless I shoot them into rocks, even with the old Penetrator inserts. (I still have at least 5 of those left, that have been shot hundreds of times into bag and block targets).

I saw an AT discussion on this bending/warping issue a while back. Most people having it were using melt type adhesives to install inserts. My hypothesis is: the target impact friction causes enough heat to at least partially melt the glue, allowing the inserts to move within the shafts, while the arrows are still flexing and oscillating on impact. I've always used permanent type insert adhesives. Most others who used permanent glues didn't have this issue either.

Thoughts?
I see your rationale but I highly doubt friction of insert penetrating target could soften adhesive. I’m still shooting the old style SS outserts. I used cool melt on the first 3 arrows I built, shot them for months, never had an issue. I pulled them out and used my typical adhesive, bob smith industries maxi-cure

·
Registered
423 Posts
Arrow: sirius Apollos
Spine:300
GPI:9.5
Length: 27
Vanes/Feathers: 3 max stealth
Insert/outsert weight: 50 grain BE stainless half out
Head weight/type: 100 gr QAD exodus
Overall weight: 460 grains

29" draw 74 lb BT Solution 295 fps..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Arrow: VAP GAMER .003
Length: 31"
Vanes/Feathers: Q2i Fusion 1.75
Insert/outsert weight: 50 grain
Head weight/type: 100 grai
Overall weight: 438 grain

315 fps. Fast and flat and hit hard. Never an issue with pass thru. Very tough and durable arrows.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I see your rationale but I highly doubt friction of insert penetrating target could soften adhesive. I’m still shooting the old style SS outserts. I used cool melt on the first 3 arrows I built, shot them for months, never had an issue. I pulled them out and used my typical adhesive, bob smith industries maxi-cure
Maybe you're right. That just seemed to be the common element among most of the people who were having trouble with the Victory inserts. I use the BSI Maxi-Flex+ for inserts; Maxi-Cure for fletching.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Arrow: Black Eagle Rampage
GPI: 8.23 at 60lb draw weight
Length: 29"
Vanes/Feathers: 3" vanes
Insert/outsert weight: 75 insert / 25 Iron Will sleeve
Head weight/type: 100 QAD Exodus
Overall weight: 497

This is whitetail hunting only and have thought about dropping down to 430-450 range to get a little more speed from my 60 lb bow.
This is pretty much my build except less the 25 grain iron will sleeve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Arrow: GT Hunter XT
GPI: 9.3
Length: 30"
Vanes/Feathers: Blazers (3)
Insert/outsert weight: 12 gr insert with 50gr FACT insert
Head weight/type: 125gr Magnus black hornet serrazor
Overall weight: 496-512 grain depending on nock

Only issue is they seem more consistent with standard nocks vs lighted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts