Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost always using some sort of grip material on my riser, i'm currently liking nothing on there at all. Just the bare metal of the anodised integral grip.

my hand slips to the same place each time and doesn't budge even on a hot day.

So, what grip material if any do you use, and why do you think its better than just the bare grip on your bow?

* I've used

hockey tape - good but glue seeps through when hot.
vet wrap - same as above but wears out too quick
overgrip - various but think it has too much grip, but like one of the Wilson overgrips using the reverse side, bit like chamois leather, grippy but not too much. I may try this again.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I don’t like much. I have ran a strip of skateboard/tread tape up the backs of grips before, but it was more for a tactile reference for hand position than anything.

I have a little deeper grip than most and am not worried about anything slipping out of position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
A strip of sticky-back 100 grit sandpaper on the handle gives me the best feel, but I could never get it to stay on. Always oozes off to the right side after a round or two. so I've had to go to grip tape.

And, the best grip tape I've found is the Liam Grimwood tape from Lancaster. Always always stays "dry" feeling and never gets slippery, even after a whole season of a sweaty and sometimes dirty hand on it. It's also cheaper than tennis wracket tape for some reason.

I've shot with no tape on too, but a little friction just gives me extra security...

lee.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I like the lizard skin bat tape feels good and is just thick enough with enough cushion it kinda molds to my hand position allowing me to repeat a consistent grip

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the skateboard tape I've heard a bunch, never sandpaper before though! sounds like it might take your skin off :wink: anything i've put on just the front side of grip does move to one side after a short while like lees mentions, although the hockey tape did last couple of weeks.

one of the overgrips I liked was also a "dry" type which sounds similar to Liam G's product. not tack at all more of a smooth nap type finish.

do you guys using grip material find that you get a few to many seemingly unexplained fliers if you don't get your hand in the same/correct place? You may not even be aware its slightly different.

my thinking is if for some reason I don't position my hand consistently, or maybe different pressure even, its going to place different torque into the bow which may have been contributing to left/right shots out of group etc.

whereas a slippier bow grip my hand is always gonna slide into the same natural finishing position, no matter where I initially place it.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
I personally don't find that grip tape allows me that much variation in my grip. Instead, without it, even the correct grip for me is a little less secure especially when the sweat and natural oils start building up. Putting it another way, a slippery slidey handle doesn't make me shoot better :). But some friction to make it more secure does....

lee.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Mueller M Tape is the best I've used. It's only 4 or 5 bucks on Amazon. The glue doesn't bleed through & it lasts a long time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mueller M Tape is the best I've used. It's only 4 or 5 bucks on Amazon. The glue doesn't bleed through & it lasts a long time.
ok I checked that out thanks, its a type of zinc oxide tape yes? I have regular zinc oxide tape which I have tried and it is very resilient. might be worth a another try

I like the idea of having some grip once my hand has settled, but still want my hand to be free enough to slip into that natural position.

maybe just trial and error I spose.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,824 Posts
Nothing at all......Learned long ago how to place my hand to the riser and it slip to where it should and stays there. It's in here this forum somewhere, Torque Tuning Revisited. Sure made a believer out of me............

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing at all......Learned long ago how to place my hand to the riser and it slip to where it should and stays there. It's in here this forum somewhere, Torque Tuning Revisited. Sure made a believer out of me............
Thanks Sonny, a great thread there. definitely looks worth the effort/time. I had to move my rest back to accommodate shorter arrows, I just measured it at just under 0.75" from center of berger/deepest part of grip to bade. pretty close coincidence! of course when I try this the optimal measurement for my set up may be different.

shot in blazing heat for 3hrs today and can't say my grip slipped at all so i'm thinking no added grip material is still the way to go.

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3702642&p=1087788434#post1087788434

·
--------------
1,824 Posts
Currently i'm liking my hand staying where i place it and not sliding around (using the rubberized stick on grip tape) and since i shoot an older bowtech with the aluminum shrewd grip going to take one in to a bedliner place and see if i can have it rhino-lined on the outside areas. upside is would probably make i slightly warmer feeling in winter.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
On one of my first bows I used bicycle handlebar tape, actually a very "cushy" Lizzard Skins. Took some trial and error but eventually got the wrap just right to use the overlaps as grip reference points.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Lizard skin keeps moving when it’s hot out. I like it but I’ve had to tape over it to hold it in place. Still moves. I shoot a lot so I like the padding. I’m going to try something else.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,824 Posts
More other than my first reply; My bow hand is a bit off due to a artificial wrist/thumb joint. Thumb sets back quite a bit (see if I can a pic). The artificial part in a gel pack of some kind and scar tissue. Yep, had therapy to shape the scar tissue into a cup. Scar tissue is still meat and sometimes with shooting the area swells to the point my watch band leaves pretty good size impression. Yep, band loose at the start of a 3D and biting into the flesh at the end of the 3D.

Above said, I've tested and tried different things, Slick Shot, pistol shooting glove and more. Sort of liked my shooting glove, but just a bit thick in the palm area. I've even threatened to buy a therapeutic glove like Tim Gillingham. Following Tim over the years he's had different colored gloves.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put a Shrewd adjustable grip on my Matthews chill to replace the focus grip that I hate. I moved it around until I was comfortable, then shot it against my competition bow. Then taped the grip on the competition bow to replicate the grip angle on the Matthews. I’m happy with the result.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,472 Posts
One layer of black Gorilla Tape if anything. Doesn’t add anything to or change the grip configuration, just provides a little less slip. Doesn’t change in different weather conditions either. Very consistent feel.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
I found some picture hanging velcro strips the wife bought I wanted to find something that would help me develop a consistent grip position. Works good and holds fast to the bow.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some interesting options there for sure, bow is shooting so well (even in very high temperatures and slightly sweaty hands) with no grip. If I try anything i'm favouring the gorilla tape idea EPLC mentions, as like he said I don't want too much grip.

Sonny - The glove option I have tried in the past, but used an acrylic fingerless type, I shot a competition pb with it initially so liked it but felt I lost too much feel so ditched it. A thinner golf type glove like in pic would maybe work better but I just can't be bothered with wearing a glove.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Its all personal preference and what works best for YOU. I also shoot with no grip material, but PSE's are made that way to eliminate torque. People should stop worrying about what feels comfortable, or secure, or whatever the case may be. Let the arrow tell you what needs to be done. Find consistency and get use to the feeling of it.

Bare shaft tuning is a great way tune a bow, but more importantly it can tune the shooter and tell you if you have a consistent grip.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,824 Posts
Some interesting options there for sure, bow is shooting so well (even in very high temperatures and slightly sweaty hands) with no grip. If I try anything i'm favouring the gorilla tape idea EPLC mentions, as like he said I don't want too much grip.

Sonny - The glove option I have tried in the past, but used an acrylic fingerless type, I shot a competition pb with it initially so liked it but felt I lost too much feel so ditched it. A thinner golf type glove like in pic would maybe work better but I just can't be bothered with wearing a glove.
Gloves are a pain, but it's like anything, it's getting use to them. I much like my shooting glove when shooting heavily loaded .44 mags and .45 Colts.
Grip, I've seen the hand too deep and griping the bow too far out. Holding, griping the riser too far out (the riser almost or riding on the joint) is something similar to a med or high grip, which can give good results, but more than liking making the pin settle far harder than it should be. ??? Hand set well you can add heal pressure (Shades of Terry Wunderle!). I've only shot once with a person (far older than me) that used a fully high grip and he was dang good, but a hunter. He used 3D only near hunting season to tune himself.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts