Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then i read a post or talk to a guy at a club shoot thats says that his bow is shooting 280 or 290 fps. I dont think much of it until i find out hes only shooting 50 or so pounds of draw and only shooting a 27 or 28 inch draw. Blows my mind :confused:
I currently shoot an 03 ultra tech with the 2000 limbs set at 64 pounds for 3-d. I have an 28 3/4 inch draw and i shoot a carbon tech cheetah 400 with 80 grain tip which ways approx 393 grains. To my understanding this is one of the lightest carbons I can get? When i graph it, i get approx. 293 fps which i thought was alright. I dont get it though. How do people shooting a bow that is 14 pounds lighter in draw, and about a full inch shorter in draw length be shooting close too or the same speed as i am? Theres something im missing here.
I should also note that i own a 2001 ultra tech, PSE Quantum, PSE Mach 8, and a Q2XL. ( Im not very brand loyal :D ) I never found anyone of these bows to be really any faster than one another. The newer ones do shoot a little faster but i dont think it would really matter what type of bow i shoot. I also understand about the brace height and how some bows with the shorter brace heights can really send em, but it still doesnt set my mind at ease. Anybody got some insight to help me out here?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Speed is possible with low poundage. I shot a Bowtech Black Knight II set up at 28 3/4" set at only 50 lbs. with ACE arrows and the thing was shooting 302-303 fps. I believe short draw shooters with lower poudage are able to get the speed especially from the easton ACE's. For what it's worth though, I put aluminums on the bow, slowed it down, and it shot much better. :)

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,413 Posts
My bow shoots 6,532 fps with a 252 pound arrow at 6 pounds with a 19" draw length.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Oh yeah well mine is just as fast and no hand shock or vibration:D All that and I can't sell it for 400.00 because it is a lefty. By the way what is hand shock. I must have came into archery after those companies took care of that from the bows.;)

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
For the most part the discrepency lies in the draw length. For starters I have not seen a bow yet when new that measures what the limb says for AMO draw. Then take into account a little string stretch over the first several hundred shots and walla....you now have a 29" 28" bow!!!! ;)

That one inch of extra draw length easily accounts for about 15 f/s.

I even question your speed based on a 28.75 AMO draw. Mine is @ a measured 28.5" and right at 5 grains per pound I am struggling to get 285 f/s out of mine.

Another possibility is the whole 'True Draw' -vs- AMO draw debate. Some people just don't bother with quoting the AMO draw and quote the 'True' draw. Now we have a 27" bow that is actually 28.75! That is amost a 30 f/s swing!

Take it all with a grain of salt.....but if you use software for calculation purposes, make sure to actually measure the draw, brace, and weight if want desireable results! ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
it is called stretching the truth so someone can have something that is better than everyone else has. Kind of like cars everyone has a faster one and drives better than others and is more dependable. Speed means nothing if you cant hit anything with it so I dont get why everyone is worried about it. I have seen pics on here with kids shooting little bows and killing big deer so it can be done with anything. Also no two cronographs are gonna measure the same either.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Tony, I agree with what you said about the draw length vs. what the limb tag says, with THREE exceptions that I can confirm.

1. Merlin will deliver EXACTLY the draw length you order, so when you order from them, you'd better be sure of what draw length you want and NOT use the limb tag off your bow either!

2. Martin - They, too, are doing a much better job of providing the draw length that you ORDER, not plus or minus an inch, what you order.

3. Bowman Accu-Riser. Stuart will deliver EXACTLY what you order, so again, be sure what you need in draw length. If you get the wrong draw length, blame yourself, NOT the companies listed above.

It is terrible to pay premium dollar for a target (or even a hunting) bow and then have them come in anywhere from 1/2" to 3" LONGER than the AMO you ordered. They give the lame excuse that they don't have TIME to be that detailed; or that the shooters rebuild them anyways, so who cares? Or better yet, they accuse YOU of not knowing how to measure the bow's draw length and that they are really DEAD ON - - Yeah, right - 1/2" is NOT dead on, 3" isn't even in the ballpark, and I've seen the 3" affair more than once. Most often, however you see 1" to 1 3/4" TOO LONG from what the limb tag says.

Reason is simple - - inflate your bow speeds so more people will buy them - and THINK they are shooting 28" when it is really 29 3/4" AMO. Foul play, IMHO, YES, but few shooters do anything about it and keep on buying bows that are NOT what they ordered and then not insist on satisfaction and delivery of what was ordered.

Now, my bow shoots fast enough to get the arrow to the target before I fall asleep, and fast enough that I can't run along with the arrow and shove it down, up, left or right to make sure of a bullseye. It shoots TOO FAST for me to catch it in my teeth if someone else shot an arrow out of it, but slow enough to not go through a brand new bale. It won't break the sound barrier, so it isn't a .270 rifle, and it isn't that noisy either. It is fast enough that when I loose the arrow, I can't get my binocs up to eyeball the arrow as The arrow goes to the target - - I only get to see that AFTER the arrow has stuck where ever it has struck.

field14:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Speed

Barnsdale Ultimate X......

285 fps with 29 " 335 grain Easton Lightspeed 400's 90 grain nibbs, and uni-bushings with g-nocks..1.5' plastic fletch

@ 60 lbs.. + or - 2 lbs for scale errors @ 29 " True draw...........

J.....:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Field 14-

I have heard the same things about the companies you mentioned. For the most part the major manufactures are within + 3/4" from the ordered AMO draw.

This is the reason I asked in a previous post about the 'independant' bow test done by Bowsite about the draw lengths. The speeds that those bows showed ALL were smoking in comparsion to what I have measured and observed. It appears to me they ordered 28" bows and got everything from about 28.25" to 29.5" based on the measured speeds they got. The funny thing is that most of those bows claim similar IBO speeds so after doing the tests they should have really actually measured the AMO draw length of the bows.

·
Registered
538 Posts
SPEED!!

I have an old cyclone I 3-D shoot with, its a measured 29" @ 63#. This week I decided to try 28.5" CX 200 w/90 grn tip and was chrono'd at 301 fps...3 for 3 SHOTS!! Was pretty happy w/that, and the bow actually shot and felt better in my hands.
Just my .02
PETE :D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Speed??

Who cares??

I love a slow hit over a fast miss. The only time I can accept an increase in speed is when it is necessary to avoid hitting the bottom of the scope with the shaft/vanes when shooting long distance such as 80 yards NFAA and 90 meters FITA or NAA.

Why is everyone forgetting the instability of the extremly fast arrow. It will work for the better than average shooter, but will create problems for the average or less then average shooter.

If you feel you need the speed for 3D, I recommend your do some pre-shoot excercies to deterimine distance.

Folks, this is not a 222 Caliber rifle shooting at 3000 FPS. This is archery and you are shooting an arrow. There is no dynamic impact of the arrow striking its intended target.

If you are an average archer forget the speed. learn good shooting form and habits and that will take care of your ability to shoot better.

Alaska Sam;)

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
Hoyt ProTec XT2000 Command Cam + 54#
28" ACE's at 270 grains
8.75" Brace height (bumped it up)
280fps

I think your problem MOMO1 is that your arrow weight is far too high. In fact I don't think it's possible for a Cheetah to be that heavy, my calculations say 264 grains. Even the Rhino isn't that heavy.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Conquest Pro MiniMax FFR CAM.
* Draw Length approximately 27.7 inch
* Draw Weight approximately 67 pounds
* 22 strand string -- I believe 'tmarch' sold me a 22 strand 8125 string (that's a heavy string compared to the 18 strands that are normally used) -- but Tom will have to confirm that.

Tonight at Sierra Mountain Archery in Orangevale California I got 283 FPS with a 370 grain arrow, and Robert the store owner can verify that!

Now that for me that is 'smoking'!
I'm really stoked with the performance, 66 Pounds of KE and I'm ready to see what those Rocky Mountain Snypers can do this season.

It's hard to beat a Mathews!

P

·
0 Posts
Hoyt USA

F-14,
I found a bow that you can add to your list. My new ProTec came 1/32" over what I ordered. I ordered 30" and it came 30 1/32". I move it back to the 29 ½" position and checked it and it was exactly 29 ½". Hoyts that I’ve owned in the past have all ran about 3/8"-5/8" long. This ’03 ProTec was a welcome surprise. I guess they finally got it all together. It was probably the hardest bow that I have ever tuned but once properly tuned this thing is a shooting machine. :)

Grained out at 30" and 58 lb it shot exactly 300 fps. At 29 ½" the speed dropped to 291 fps. Not bad though for a bow that was designed more for Accuracy than it was for Speed. :D

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,413 Posts
Champion Shootr said:
Hey thats some pretty good speed from 252 lb arrows. Who makes them and where can I get some?
I use old tractor axles... :)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
momo1, I believe the previous gentleman is right, you're
not shooting the weight arrow u think u are.. if u are, you're
shooting 73 grains over ibo weight and that'll slow u down
quite a bit.. 293 fps with your set up is an awesome speed,
but I believe you'll find your arrows don't weigh that much
for 293 fps... let us know, thanks..

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
field 14, back to the draw length issue.. any bow made with
8125 strings and cables(which I believe merlin uses) might
come in at the correct draw length(especially if it was made
7-8 days before you get the bow), but over time( 6 months
or so), you'll find that cable/string creep causes the draw
length to change..a string can easily stretch 1/2 to 3/4 inch
over a 6 month period.

the only way I know to minimize this is by using ultracam
or 452 for cables/strings..it still happens, but to a much
lesser degree of material creep.

This happens on any bow, merlin included.. I love my merlin
bow, but they are not immune to this problem...even though
they probably do a better job of getting the amo draw length
right better than most companies, it won't stay that way
while the cables/strings are settling.. and they continue to
stretch for about 6 months or so until finally settling
completely... this is why I like to use the blended materials
for my cables and not straight dyneema...less creep...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts