Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious of what others may believe is a trophy buck. I was over at my nieghbors house the other day and in his garage there are probally twelve racks that scored 130 pus. When I asked him why some were not mounted he said that he didn't know if they were big enough because some people would not a deer of its size. So I was thinkin that maybe television has had an effect on what we think our standards should be. Say you hunted trophy mountable bucks only, what would be your "realistic" minimum regardless of all the media and "how big the other guy's deer was" crap. What's a trophy in your eyes?

·
Banned
919 Posts
to me a trophy buck is one that is bigger than your last!!!!! I make it a goal to shoot only bigger bucks then what i have already shot. Of course there is going to be a point where it hopefully will be hard but right now 130 is a trophy and we will see what this year brings!!!!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
A 125 and bigger is a trophy to me.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
If it makes P&Y then it is a trophy to me, but a trophy can be a forkhorn if the person has never killed a buck before. Always celebrate with someone over their Trophy. If they are proud then you should be too:)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
For " ME " a trophy is anything 120 and up. I have bow kills from 110-130 and a 120 class deer with a bow is a great accomplishment. I don't hunt where the pros hunt, so standards are lower but that's fine with me. I love bowhunting.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No matter what size or sex of deer I take its a trophy.

With that said some of us are so lucky that we can choose to pass on a deer because we know there will be others, however some people don't have that luxury and it goes back the what I first said, any deer taken is a trophy.

With that said I think TV, marketing, others and myself included has told us, "That deer is too small or isn't a trophy," and to me thats a shame. As I've gotten older its not about killing the biggest deer in the woods, its about the hunt and if someone wants to mount a spike so be it, mount the spike and love every second of telling the story of the HUNT!

I digress

-NerdHick

·
Registered
856 Posts
Any mature buck--at least 3 1/2 yrs or older is a trophy in my book. I have yet to net that magical 125" but I don't give up easy. Here's my best bowkill so far. Scouted him for 3 weeks before the season and nailed him from a perfect treestand setup. It feels good when you put in the time scouting and it pays off.
Like some of the other guys have said, a trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. My first bow kill was a mule deer doe and you couldn't have slapped the smile off my face:RockOn:

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have two criteria...

-The biggest buck in a given area whether its 100" or 180".
-Taking any deer that you can look back on the hunt and remember every detail about it. The weather, your stand location, the direction the deer was walking, the shot, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1) your first buck---almost always a trophy d/t memories of the hunt.
2) any buck taken under special circumstances--ie hunt w/dad, son, grandpa etc...
3) one that you have worked your rear end off to get.

sometimes size doesnt define the trophy.

that being said, I am still looking for a 180 class mulie.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Whatever buck gets my blood pumping. The guy that I hunt with told me before he let come with him that he passes on 150" bucks all the time. I found this hard to believe until I saw it with my own eyes. I guess thats why he has a 186" from 2 years ago. If he wouldn't mount it then it don't get shot. Simple as that. Now me on the other hand would shoot, or should I say shoot at, a 150" buck. I guess the trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
105 Posts
NerdHick said:
No matter what size or sex of deer I take its a trophy.

With that said some of us are so lucky that we can choose to pass on a deer because we know there will be others, however some people don't have that luxury and it goes back the what I first said, any deer taken is a trophy.

With that said I think TV, marketing, others and myself included has told us, "That deer is too small or isn't a trophy," and to me thats a shame. As I've gotten older its not about killing the biggest deer in the woods, its about the hunt and if someone wants to mount a spike so be it, mount the spike and love every second of telling the story of the HUNT!

I digress

-NerdHick
I couldn't agree with you more this is my second year of bow hunting and I get pumped even seeing a small buck Hehe can you tell I'm a newbie!!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My definition...bigger than I shot the year before! Seriously, anything over 115" is a keeper in PA. In Pike county, try 135". In SC, anything outside the ears!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that only a couple of posts mentioned AGE? :confused: You simply can NOT have a trophy whitetail if he's not mature.... doesn't matter what he scores or how many points he has! I won't lay that BS down where any and/or all deer taken are trophies.... a "trophy" is a mature whitetail, one that has been around and survivied a few seasons and has proven to be more difficult that the "average" deer to hunt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To me a trophy deer is any that I decide I'm going to draw and release on. Anytime you can outsmart an animal that spends everyday of their life in the woods it's an accomplishment that rates having the trophy tag hung on it.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
A trophy buck to me is the one the one you want to look at on the wall.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts