Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite type of target for practicing at home? What are the pros and cons of that type?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
eggs! crackers are nice too...anything that blows up when shot! The thing i love most about shooting traditional is that you can have fun with trick shots. Another one of my favorites is blowing up a bag of water balloons and throwin them out in the yard on a windy day. Good practice for hunting and hilarious tryin to his a grapefruit sized balloon goin 90 to nuthin!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Airiel Shots

If there are two of you shooting, then you can have a blast shooting the frizbee with flu flu arrows. I recently learns that the arrows with the spiral feather for fleching slows down really fast. Make sur and use bund tips for this practice.

For alone shooting I shoot the big block of foam we got at the upolstry store. It is 30 inches on each side. It has lasted for years and I still have one fresh side. For fun we sometime try to hit it from longer distances. For example we normaly shoot at 10 to 15 years. for a change we try to shoot from 25 to 35 yards. Thats a hoot as my sons and I sometimes have trouble hitting the target at that distance.

Another thing we do is go to a relly large tobacco field after the harvest and see how far we can shoot. The boys little 25 pound fiberglass recurve can shoot a long way and Dad's recurve can shoot over 200 yards.

Then we have fun trying to find all the arrows!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you still in NC?

I live in NC outside the Raleigh area. Do you know of any clubs or places to take decent lessons in archery? Any NC help would be aprpeciated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
tomatoes from my wifes garden . don't tell her i said that though cuz she'll backhand me like a red headed step child.
don

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
Silent -

NFAA blue indoor.
Easiest for the eye to center on.

Possible exception would be the outdoor NFAA Hunter target, solid black with a white aiming spot.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a excelsior bale I acquired when a local archery range went out of business. The center is shot out now so I stuff roled up phone book fragments into it and get a chuckle when the arrows bounce out. They don't bounce very far, about their length is all but it's pretty clear when I hit the four inch target the rolled up phone book represents.

I need to replace it and will probably get one of those foam blocks previously mentioned when I get around to it. I'm not inclined to purchase any commercial targets because in my experience they don't last long enough to justify the investment. The type of foam that's used to stop broadheads is very susceptable to UV damage so it shouldn't left out in the open sunlight very much.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't know about those tomatoes, Don; my neighbor grows them but she's a pretty good shot herself so I'll just take your word for it that they are (or were...) fun to shoot. Besides, how do you know that your wife doesn't read the same forum you do? I guess we'll all know she does when we hear the "smack" heard 'round the world. :D

I have tried doing the William Tell bit with the apples (couldn't get any volunteers to hold them). They keep falling every time I hit the target instead of the apple but they split real nice when I do hit them.

I have also shot at gallon milk jugs full of water. Set them out on the backyard lawn and shoot at them from the second story porch. Eventually the jug is empty of water, then you hear a loud 'wack' when you hit. I've thought about shooting at ice blocks, but I believe I'll leave that for the firing range for now....

Most of the time I shoot at 18 inch square foam targets mounted on hay bales. I need to replace them about every 6 weeks (in good weather), mostly due to arrow damage as the targets are back in the trees. About all I do for a bullseye is to draw a circle with a role of duck tape and a magic marker. I mount 3 or four targets at a time as I like to shoot 12 to 18 arrows before recovering.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Block
pros- lasts along time and stops carbons, easy arrow extraction.
cons-broadheads cut the foam ply layers and will shorten the life.

Mackenzie deer
pros-realistic target, stops arrows well
cons-pulling arrows out is hard, not very portable.

My favorite is my dogs big knotted string toy. It's about the size of a squirrel and it sounds great when you whack it with a judo. I toss it in the yard and take shots at different unknown yardages. I seem to consistently hit this thing as opposed to the bulls eye on the Block. Better hunting practice I think.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Years ago I occasionally used a very cheap, portable target made from a large plastic trash bag filled with crumpled newsprint. I used masking tape crosses on the outside to define the marks. It provided adequate stoppage of the arrows, at least when fitted with target or field heads, and was relatively portable for use during boy scout camping for example.

The downside was of course durability. It would quickly develop holes and some of the newspaper, that had become shredded, would start to come out. When that happened I would put it in another bag with maybe some more newsprint to compensate for the stuff already shredded or lost.

It was admittedly a quick and dirty device but it got the job done in those instances where one couldn't afford a more "professional" target. Several could be quickly assembled from a box of trashbags, a stack of newsprint and a roll of masking tape, then tossed in a dumpster when they got too shot up.

Important note: The newsprint needs to be crumpled and stuffed tightly in the bag to provide sufficient resistance to the arrows. That way the stuffing will do the job without the inordinant weight of a stack of newspapers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought an Eternity target yesterday at wally world for 24 bucks and hope it lasts, well, forever. The best instinctive shooter in our area used an eternity and loved it. Small enough to bring inside and shoot in the house on rainy days. Will let you know how I like it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
jk231,

My wife would be slapping ME like a red headed stepchild if I tried bringing my target in the house to shoot on rainy days! That would be a no way Jose for me. Of course, I could put in in the garage and shoot shorter shots!

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reguarding cheap target butts. It is nice to talk about butts without referring to human anatomy.
What has worked well for me is to use old tentest ceiling tiles you know the 2X4 ones that are used for drop ceilings. If not used ones buy 4X8 sheets and cut them into 8 inch strips or what ever thickness you want remember though the weight of the finished butt is to be considered. Anyway stack them to whatever height you want. Use long bolts purchased at a hardware very inexpensive and place wood boards 2X4 will do for the average size butt and put one on the top and bottom and with washers and nuts clamp the strips down. Now you have a cheap butt that will last for a very long time and when the hole appears from your expert shooting just replace the ten or so strips and reclamp and away you go again.
I used this idea for a club and they were still useable the second year without changing any strips.
Hope this will be of help to anyone.
Flyingdragon

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I like to put on a judo head and go out into the woods and shoot at pop cans. Just bring about 4 or 5 and place them in a 20 yard circle. After you shoot at the first one, just retrieve your arrow, turn around and shoot the next one from that spot. It helps shooting at different yardages.

JP

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Me and Whitefeather think alike and that's a lot of fun. Except I like the cans that jump in front of my arrows! :D

Oh yea, I've also got McKenzie's yellow block target too.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
I shoot the black hole and like it. its small and portable. I will shoot that until they come out with the XWIFE target.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a mckenzie 3d deer that I shot the center out of..fixed it with the spray foam .
I live in Oklahoma, the web worms are thick in the pecan trees....I have big fun shootin at them...plenty of them and I always have something to shoot at... for "Rabbits" I fill milk jug with sand and shoot at it...
Hedgeapple

·
Registered
12 Posts
I forgot about this one and it was one of the better Cheapo targets.... burlap sack or thin walled cardboard box stuffed full of walmart sacks, pack them in good and tight will stop arrows and easier to pull out then most foam 3 D targets.
Hedgeapple

1 - 19 of 19 Posts