• Once a year

Votes: 38 15.2%
  • Once a month

Votes: 84 33.6%
  • Once a week

Votes: 54 21.6%
  • 2-4 times a week

Votes: 36 14.4%
  • Your just not the same if you don't get your fix EVERY DAY!!!

Votes: 16 6.4%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just interested to see if pro shops are really even needed anymore. It seems like today's bows are getting more and more user friendly that some day the pro shop might be obsolete.
Just post up your usage... it will be interesting to repeat this poll about every other year to see what the trend is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ain't Gonna Happen

I truely believe that the true Pro-Shops will continue to exist. Its just the small ones that will struggle. No matter how user friendly a bow becomes there will always be people that just don't have time to fool with or may just be too lazy to work on their own stuff.
But thats JMO

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Usually 5 days a week, which is every day he is open. Some weeks like this week there is nothing I need to do real bad, but I will probably be in anyway.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would say about once a month. But now That I just got a house I am planning on starting on doing more of my own stuff just because I got the room to do so. I am going to buy a fletching machine and definetly start doing my own arrows.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Let's hope that NEVER happens. Trust me....AT is a very select group. Most everyone (not all), but a good number of them, on AT are at least interested enough about archery to tinker with their equipment. Even some of my more tech savy customers have to have my help once a month or so and they are far, far beyond the norm. I ran some numbers from last year and I (my shop) serviced over 500 bows last season. We changed 326 string and cable sets. I would argue that less than 10% of my customer base is savy enough to do it themselves. That would lead to alot of explosions, wounded deer, and all around a very poor industry. IMO!!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I've been shooting a compound bow off and on since 1983....Todays compound bows are NOT simpler, or more "User-Friendly", when it comes to tuning or working on them...Back in the 80's, it was steel cables, and dacron strings...It took ALOT of shooting to wear out a steel cable, or dacron bowstring....And, changing a string took a few minutes...Most problems back then were risers breaking, and metal teardrops busting off of cables...or bow limbs blowing up....Bows are definately more reliable, and better shooting now, but take alot more savy to work on properly...just My opinion.......Take Care....Harperman

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
My shop is 2 hours away & i go up every saturday if i need to or not. I wish it was closer so & could go every day.:wink:

·
Philippians 4:6-7
2,316 Posts
I chose once a month because my pro shop is 35 minutes away! If it was closer I would get my fix daily! But Bass and Bucks in Wabash Indiana is well worth the drive time!!! Josh and Dennis are the best!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Right now I go about once a month. In the winter time, I go once a week to shoot league.:)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Sorry, I happen to be one of those guys who is on the other side of the counter so I am there daily . . . and judging by the frequent visits of those who patronize our shop, people buying new stuff tend to visit once a week in the summer, and maybe once a month in the winter. Our range is opening in Oct for leagues and whatnot, but so far those visiting to tune and just practice are there weekly.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
My pro shop is in the basement:wink: I've learned how to do all my own work unless it's going to be a warranty job.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i only go once a month because every time i go i buy something and when i get home i gotta deal with the what did you buy this time bull.

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
I go at least once month. My entire family shoots, so there is often a need for more arrows, or a new release or new fletchings... In the winter, I go once or twice a week to use the indoor range and talk with the other shooters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My local shop is a one man show, so he appreciates it when we just stop in and shoot the breeze. I actually go in probably 2-3 times a month average.... more just prior and during the season.

A larger local shop did close a few years back, they had the large range, matches, instructional classes and a huge selection of equipment.... I believe their downfall was totally catering to target shooters and their dislike of the bowhunters!!!:confused:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I drive PAST the one I bought my bow at at least twice a month...
REFUSE to step back in there! :mad: (know others that feel the same way)

As far as others in the area, I pop in now and then.

When I get in other areas, it's always worth at least going in to see what they have!!!

Because of this great place, and the way I was treated at the shop mentioned above, I have learned to do almost all my own work. Next step is to build a press and then I will be able to do all the work on Mrs. Smed's bow too.
And as far as "stuff" most of it that I got me and Mrs. Smed was from either another member or a sponser!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Never as far as the "pro-shops" go. If I *really* have to have something that day I will go pick it up but 90% of the time it isn't really pleasant. The rest of the time I either order from a guy at our club that wholesales +10% or order from a mail order shop. Sadly both the pro-shop owners know more than enough to do things right but it is random as to when you get the "good person" or the "bad person" (I sometimes wonder if they are actually bi-polar). They are more expensive than Dicks, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain to boot (and all three are within reasonable driving distance too), they just are more likely to have any of the low demand target do-dads I'm looking for. But that is just a local problem - were the friendly and not double the price of everywhere else I would go there and purchase stuff.

Still, I wouldn't use one much for the service end of things. I know of no pro-shop that is going to go out there with me and creep tune, tiller tune, and finally group tune my bow. Paper tuning is just the initial setup and, further, all of the tuning has to be done with my hands doing the shooting as it will be different for each person. Not to mention that I normally have a very specific setup in terms of equipment and they have to order it (if they even have a wholesaler that they can get the stuff from - many things I have to get from Lancasters).

The indoor range I use isn't attached to a pro-shop but is an archery club so not even any reason to be at one of them for that. Not only do we end up being cheaper if you shoot much but have nicer facilities.

Basically pro-shops are centered around hunters and I'm more of a target shooter. Nothing wrong with that - were I to own one I would too. They may stock a limited amount of low demand target do-dads but if they are making money then they aren't going to have the time to do what I need done. Nor are they likely to have pretty much anything I want. Now, if say Lancaster's was my local pro-shop then things would be different - but alas they aren't. The market isn't large enough to support very many Lancasters.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
During a year's time I probably visit my local pro shop a little more than once a month on average. But I usually shoot at our local archery club rather than the shop. Moreover, the owners of the pro shop are active in the archery club as well.

·
Bent Not Broken
3,448 Posts
Already too late here. All four closed while I was away. It is more than an hour to get the next one. Thank God I worked at one and can do my own work now.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts