Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a hunter first and foremost, the mere fact that I am competitive in both my indoor and 3d league is icing on the cake. I'm considering new threads for both of my rigs.

I'm not interested in manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I'm getting some "Nasty" threads, but I am interested in material choice BCY 8125, BCY 452x, or Brownell X-cel and serving materials w/ bcy 3d .017 or braided halo. (differences between, advantages, disadvantages, etc....)

John recommended the BCY 452x "plenty fast, no creep". I'm not sure about serving material and just wanted to see what the AT crew has to offer.

I've also posted this on the bowhunters forum.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well I'll through in my 0.2, first I would not go with anything except BCY just my .2. 8125 is faster but requires more time to stretch and settle in so it will require more tunning time. 452x is a heavier material after 5 shots it's done but is a tad slower. For serving 017 is fine for tyeing in peeps and release ropes but for center serving I use 020 or 025. It won't separate and slide as much. Pay a little more and get the pre waxed.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
John recommended the BCY 452x "plenty fast, no creep". I'm not sure about serving material and just wanted to see what the AT crew has to offer.
452x - great strings. Only a tad slower than the other. Very stable. Halo serving - tough as nails. As far as manufacturer - you're spot on.

·
7 Time pHp Camp Champion
7,274 Posts
There's no better material to use on our planet than 452X. It's the most stable money can buy. I don't care if you shoot one day in 100+ degree heat and humidity and the next in below freezing temps, it won't move. I've tried 8125, TS1 and Ultracam and all are very far from advertised. I haven't tried the X-Cel. 452X is the only one that can do the job. I'm in no way affiliated w/ BCY, I'm just a fan of their product.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
BCY 452X, 3D end serving, 62XS center serving.
The center should be sized to fit your nock and depends on string material. For the most part BCY .020 and Brownells .021 will be right.

Brownell servings are very good and come in many colors. I've heard a lot of good reports on Brownell X-cel string material. X-cel has the same make-up as 452X but reports are that it doesn't fuzz as much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts