Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26,652 Posts
Before looking at any of the prior responses, my gut said low 130's gross....seems like there is some consensus....on AT.....wow

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It's a beautiful buck and one that will look awesome on the wall but I don't see anything close to 130".Bucks whose main beams just stop,generally don't score well.The spread has nothing to do with a P&Y score

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
It's a beautiful buck and one that will look awesome on the wall but I don't see anything close to 130".Bucks whose main beams just stop,generally don't score well.The spread has nothing to do with a P&Y score
Actually it does... you get to add the measurement of the greatest inside spread to your score....???

·
Registered
455 Posts
Spread cannot exceed beam length. Wide spreads generally look very impressive but add to the wow factor more than just actual score. Gorgeous buck, I see 127-132”

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Inside spread is one of the measurements used in scoring. If you have 120" of antler bone with a 20" inside spread, then you have a 140" score.

And beam length has nothing to do with inside spread. You can have 20" beams that extend outward to create a 22" inside spread. Or you can have 25" beams that curl into a basket rack with only a 15" inside spread. Beams and spread are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
835 Posts
And beam length has nothing to do with inside spread. You can have 20" beams that extend outward to create a 22" inside spread. Or you can have 25" beams that curl into a basket rack with only a 15" inside spread. Beams and spread are mutually exclusive.
While what you wrote is factually correct, it is dead wrong according to B&C rules. It is possible to have 20 inch beams with an inside spread of 22", however if scored correctly according to B&C standards, you will only get a spread credit that is equal to the length of the longest main beam.

Not sure I fully understand why, or necessarily agree with it, but those are the rules...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
While what you wrote is factually correct, it is dead wrong according to B&C rules. It is possible to have 20 inch beams with an inside spread of 22", however if scored correctly according to B&C standards, you will only get a spread credit that is equal to the length of the longest main beam.

Not sure I fully understand why, or necessarily agree with it, but those are the rules...
You are correct. I just did a mock score on their calculator with 22" beams and 25" spread. The gross added up to the full 69" but for net they deducted the difference between spread and beam length, making it 66". What an odd rule. That makes absolutely no sense to me. I'll try it with P&Y too to see if they deduct excess spread. No wonder BTR scoring system is getting so much traction. It doesn't have all the silly weird stuff. I've used that B&C score calculator forever and never realized they deduct excess spread. I can't say I recall any deer with wider spread than beam length, either, but it's certainly a plausible scenario. Bizarre.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Have we cleared up that you DO add the inside spread to the score?
Yes but apparently with the caveat that it can not exceed length of main beams. Any extra gets deducted. I never did find any rule explaining it but that's how it works if you use the B&C calculator.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm no expert, and I usually guess over. That being said, I'd say he's high 130's pushing 140. Now another thing, I always pay attention to gross because I like to acknowledge every inch of bone. Deductions don't enter into my numbers.
Beautiful deer.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts