Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying different heads and cant come to a decision. So far, i've tried a true fire T1 (terrible loud "whistle" but shoots great), Slick Trick mags (loud, but not as bad as the T1 also shoot great) Muzzy MX4 (not bad but dont group as good) and a Thunderhead (by far best as far as grouping and quietest, just not fond of the way their built).
Sooooo, whats your opinions on a quiet head that groups good for you?
I cant keep buying b.heads
just to give em a try then throw em back in the drawer!

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Chris

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The sound a broadhead makes has little or no impact on hunting. What you hear and the time over which you hear it is completely different from what an animal hears and the time over which it hears it, due to the Doppler Effect.

However, any non-vented fixed blade will be the most quiet. I would try Shuttle Ts or QAD Exodus non-barbed heads for great shooting and quiet heads.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Never noticed anything with may muzzy 3 blades.

Aside from whistling, 90% of the sound of an arrow in the fletching

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Stuttle t, or either of the trophy taker heads. My shuttles are dead quiet, no zip what so ever. Other than that anything non vented should be silient.

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,816 Posts
My 125 gr. 3 blade Muzzy heads don't seem to make any noise, and group very well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My Montecs seem pretty darn quiet.
I would love to know how? Did they change the design? I had some and they whistled like a farmer on vacataion.

I use slick tricks now and they are not perfectly silent, but I think only we hear this noise. It seams to me like someone on hear "that is really smart" did some calculations once that mesured the speed of sound vs bow speed.
Shoot what groups the best and YOU have confidence in.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Every vented broadhead I've tried is noisy, some worse than others. Even some non-vented heads make a little hiss. The quietest (basically silent in flight) broadheads I've found are the Wensel Woodsman Elite or VPA Terminator, 175 grains and up. Non-vented, tool steel, and group as well as my Montec CS and Slick Tricks. They are heavier than most compound shooters want though and you have to know how to sharpen them.

I don't really think the noise matters much anyway. Your bow is probably a lot louder than the broadhead.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Same here and they come in 4 packs with I think a $5 rebate this year.

I bought some NAP Hellrazors this summer and love them. They are super sharp right out of the box as well.
Ohh I shoot the rage openbh into my target and it made a super loud sound at impact. Obviously from the head opening, it was very loud. But obviously not Until my 18-1 target. I can see a super sharp fixed blade zipping through a deer and it standing there like what just happened. But if I whacked one with the Rage we would both know it for sure IMO.

I own 2 bows one set at aprx 62 lbs and the other at 69 lbs. The rage went in over 2 inches deeper at 69 lbs so I can see where even an extra few lbs of draw weight can make a huge difference. This was on a brandy new target with both head being shot previously. I wonder if they were super sharp how much if any more the arrow would have penetrated. Off topic but I figure I would share. The hr went in deeper with both bows but the difference was much less vs the rage where the extra few bs made a noticeable difference.

Like the op stated it gets expensive trying various bh's but I wouldn't be overly concerned with sound. But def go with what shoots well and gives you the most confidence! Good luck in your search and have a great day everyone!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would love to know how? Did they change the design? I had some and they whistled like a farmer on vacataion.

I use slick tricks now and they are not perfectly silent, but I think only we hear this noise. It seams to me like someone on hear "that is really smart" did some calculations once that mesured the speed of sound vs bow speed.
I don't know how. It could be that there is noise and I just don't notice it. Like I said, they seem quiet to me.

·
Registered
621 Posts

I don't know how. It could be that there is noise and I just don't notice it. Like I said, they seem quiet to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts