Archery Talk Forum banner

Your Smartphone Isn't Helping You Kill Deer

6K views 86 replies 42 participants last post by  flpdog 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Some of you may remember the deer hunting survey I posted a few weeks back. Thank you to everyone who participated! I wrote an article on my blog about the correlation of missed opportunities at deer and cell phone usage while hunting. The survey results are interesting!

Check out the article here: http://transitionwild.com/2015/12/26/your-smartphone-isnt-helping-you-kill-deer/

Thanks for reading!

#2 ·
It's that darned Tapatalk app, I tell ya! I'm missing 140" bucks left and right, I just know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Good read and I pretty much agree and usually keep my mind out of my phone. However after a slow few days at a property during prime rut, I checked my phone on stand to see what the wind and weather was at another area where my friend and I could go, conditions looked promising. A quick text to my buddy and we agreed if we bail right now we can get a few hr. hunt at a couple fresh spots, within an hour at his new spot my buddy killed his best deer ever, 150 plus inch 10pt!

#8 ·
nice article. i participated, the results are as i would expect and although you are probably correct i feel the article is slightly biased. i dont even disagree with your opinion, i would just like to see a larger study done with a more in depth survey and preferably even more participants, maybe even get volunteers to log each hunt. im sure all manner of things could be correlated and inferred with the information you gather, you may be onto something and this could be of benefit all hunters.

#11 ·
Thanks rxavage! I agree with you that I need more data points. I also need to tweak the survey questions so that it leaves no room for interpretation. I plan on making this a yearly thing after each hunting season so that I can compare trends year to year.

The goal of this article was create awareness of a growing trend. Thanks for reading!

#13 ·
Interesting point! I'm glad it has helped you stay out there longer - I never thought of it that way. Like I mentioned earlier, it is a double edge sword. I could see this same application for a father taking a youngster out for the first time. Having something to keep them entertained (book, board game, cell phone) might keep them out there longer than without. Thanks for reading!

#10 ·
I dont use one while hunting, and I refuse to while hunting...I'm there to hunt, not to play stupid games or "surf" the web or text....my buddy blew it last year on a nice deer as it came in quietly and he wasnt ready as he had his head buried looking at his f'n phone....

#16 ·
Thanks for the comment! I wish I didn't have the urge to use my phone in the stand - I applaud you for keeping it put away! I don't know if I will ever be "phone free" from the stand but at least I know the potential consequences if I do decide to scroll through facebook! Hearing the story about your buddy makes me cringe because I have been there as well! Thanks for taking the time to read my article!

#12 ·
I don't see how the survey served any purpose whatsoever in providing data that worked towards proving, or disproving the hypothesis.
It simply showed that some people admit to spending time on their smart phones while hunting.

I think that we already knew that.

#15 ·
Thanks for the comment! I agree that we already knew people use their cell phone from the tree stand but what was eye opening to me was the DURATION of time people use them while hunting. My goal was to highlight how quickly deer encounters can be and how easy it is for them to sneak in, catching you off guard. The more time spent with your nose in a phone could result in fewer deer sightings or missed opportunities. This is my first survey in regards to this topic and I plan on making this an annual thing. I will also be tweaking questions as well.

Thanks for reading!

#18 ·
I have a small scenario in the defense of phones.
As i said, i will leave early if i'm not on it.

Opening weekend this year, it was Sunday morning. I was getting ready to leave the blind at 8:30!! 8 freaking 30!!! I decided to just play around on my phone for a bit, (since that's what i'd be doing soon as i got back to the house). Just after 9 o'clock i put my phone down to shoot the biggest doe i've ever killed. I owe it to the almighty smart phone for keeping me in there much longer. Haha

I also believe that it has helped me on a couple deer approaching from behind me. It keeps me still. How many times are we busted by deer behind us simply because we're looking around? You don't move hardly much at all when you're on your phone. I peak up and scan every minute or so though. I've gotten pretty good at it. Haha

#21 ·
I'm with you on this, I've had to put my phone away multiple times this year while the deer were walking up, I scan for awhile , read for a bit , keeps me in the stand all day (which I probably wouldn't be able to do without the distraction.

#22 ·
I always take my phone, but it stays off and in my pocket for emergencies ONLY.

The survey times seemed underestimated by the users. I've only been in a tree with a few other hunters while filming them, and all of them spent enormous amounts of time on their phones.

#33 ·
Smartphone has helped much more than hurt. Makes the hunt more enjoyable when a few of us are hunting together #grouptext. Allows me to virtual scout other areas, check weather, look in the right direction when a buddy misses or gets busted, keeps me in stand longer during dull periods, and just makes my hunt more enjoyable. Yes I've been busted messing with phone, yes I've missed shot opportunities while messing with phone, yes I've had phone ring and run deer off because I forgot to silent it, yes I've dropped it and had deer run from a vibrating phone on the ground, yes its changed the way I hunt but I love it all when it comes to deer hunting. A good story that makes friends die laughing or shaking their head is worth it. For some strange reason the deer keep dieing around me. #LMAO

#34 ·
I definitely didn't miss shot opportunities...though I may have missed sighting opportunities. I feel it's a fair trade though. While I don't check out websites much at all, I do listen to audio books with one ear bud in and it helps me stay on stand longer.

#36 ·
I am kind f old school when it comes to phones while hunting. I only carry one for safety purposes, to be available if family needs me, or in case of a work related emergency. I spend very little time on my phone while on stand. I do not even have a smart phone. I have one of the old rugged flip phones. LOL. I do expect that I would get sidetrack if I had a smart phone, and it would negatively impact my hunting.

#42 ·
Unbelievable. Somebody actually took the time to do a survey and then write that much, just to say that if you're looking at a cellphone, you might miss a chance at a deer? Any first grader with any common sense could have told you that. This is offensive, but I'll say it. That would make a great article in today's hunting magazines. It would go right along with all the other useless info they put out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 ·
(Fox news)

A 20-year-old man distracted by an electronic device fell off a San Diego cliff that is a popular gathering spot to watch the sunset and plunged 60 feet to his death, officials said Saturday.

The young man tumbled off the edge at Sunset Cliffs around 5 p.m. Christmas Day in front of horrified witnesses, Fox 5 San Diego reported.

“Witnesses stated seeing someone distracted by an electronic device and he just fell over the edge,” said San Diego Lifeguard Bill Bender, according to NBC 7 San Diego. “(He) wasn't watching where he was walking, he was looking down at the device in his hands.”

Lifeguards looked for a device but did not find one. They said the device could have been a camera or a phone, the station reported.

#48 ·
When you make over 120 trips to the tree 2 to 3 or 4 hrs. at a time over about 8 weeks sometimes you need something to break the monotony and pass the time. Not to mention the 7.5 hr days in the turkey blind until I tag out. Not being in the tree because it gets boring has cost more people deer than any hand held device I assure you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.