Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start working on my first wooden bow, (I've made a couple pvc ones but never wood). Gonna be using a red oak board and a Mollegabet style longbow from boarriorbows youtube instructions. I've been looking at backing options, he used rawhide on his, which I may end up using.
but I've something here I'm curious if it'd work. uploadedviaftpPC060019.jpg This is a heavy duty art shipping tube. It may just be cardboard but it is extremely thick and very hard. I can squeeze it between my hands and barely make it give, but it didn't loose it's shape. Honestly think I could take it outside and take a swing at a basketball goal post and not hurt it. And this is just rolled up the same as a paper towel roll so once unraveled should be plenty to back with.
I know I've read where people have backed with paper so I'm curious if anyone has tried this. Or for the opinions of yall that have experience backing with different materials if you see potential in this material. And if you do, any recommended method for applying it, and sealing it.
I'm only trying to make a 45 to 50 lbs bow and the grain on the board looks great, so I don't think I need anything heavy duty but I do want something just to play it safe.
PS This tubing would make a great quiver if nothing else, I just don't need a new one right now.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wouldn't use cardboard. A great way to back a bow easily and with little expense is to use rough linen cloth. Makes a very good backing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I thought this might work is because of how thick and solid it seems, but I do understand why cardboard wouldn't be good in general.
I see linen a lot but never any details of what type works and which ones don't. I see silk mentioned a lot, but do you have some suggestions of some types of linen to use?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts