Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys, i have been doing a ton of research. im sure some of you have read my other post about the decision between the rampage and genetix, but this is what ive come up with. im only going to have MAYBE a grand for everything so honestly, its somewhat of a budget so see what you think
probably the hoyt unless i shoot the genetix and its a ton better. the reason i have made this decision is because newbreed is such a new company, im not sure if i want to jump into it. this will be the bow i use for the next few years atleast. also, with there not being many dealers, parts could be hard to come by. if something happens with a hoyt, i have a few places that can help me closer. also the hoyt is a little cheaper and after shooting the crx, i was super happy with it. that being said, im leaning towards the hoyt, but still giving the newbreed a shot. but this is the idea

Hoyt Rampage XT - $600
Apache arrow rest - $60
Black Gold Rush Sight - $100
g5 peep - $10
Dead Center Archery Stabilizer - $70
Alpine Soft-lock quiver - $55

thats $895 without arrows, broad heads and a release. if i have to, ill wait on a release. and im still unsure on arrows. quite a few guys have said to shoot the FMJs but theyre expensive for my budget at the moment. a guy at the archery shop said he likes the flatlines but id like to have an arrow made here in the US as well so im up in the air with that.
What do you guys think?? please give some feedback. dont be afraid to say something negative. would much rather hear the negatives now vs after i get it and wish i had bought something a little different! also give some arrow suggestions if youd like. im only shooting about a 26.5" draw at 60# if that helps you guys.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
324 Posts
looks good but you can save yourself a little cash if you buy used accessories on here. Apache rest are anywhere from $35-50 (got one for $35) and Black gold sight (got mine for $50) so if you did that ud save anywhere from 60-75 bucks. buy some broadheads off here to save on tax and even cheaper than store to save a dollar or 2 and you might be able to find the stabilizer too if you look. I love the classifieds I got a bow and totally set up for cheaper than the bow would have been from a dealer a LOT cheaper.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Looks like you'll have a good solid set-up! Best of luck to ya and please be sure to share a pic once you get it all together ?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Bemans are made in the usa. I use the ICS Hunter Elites because they are +-.001" straightness and are like $60 cut and fletched at my dealer for half a dozen, cheaper than any other arrow that is guaranteed that straight but I have heard if you cut a little bit off both ends of an arrow, you can pretty much get it that straight. I don't know, but I have missed the target at least 10 times and not one arrow is broken from impacting the ground. Skipped one off the top of the block black, across my gravel driveway, and into the hay field earlier this year. That field was mowed and figured even if the arrow wasn't broken from the skip across the target and road, it would surely get caught in the mower. Found it yesterday with a rusty tip and faded fletchings, absolutely nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Don't overlook the classifieds...great value can be had there. You'll be able to save considerably on accessories as well as a bow if you choose to do so. I just received a sure loc challenger sight and lethal weapon scope for 125 and it's practically spotless. So, browse through there...you'll be surprised at what you can pick up.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha definitely been scanning the classifieds. that was just prices if i went new with everything.
and yeah if been hearing good stuff about those ics hunters. im going to check how much my dealer can sell them for.
and will definitely have a pic when she is here and setup!

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Get the bow and get most of the accessories from the classifieds, even the arrows and release. Just on those items you'll probably save a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I highly recommend Victory Arrows. Gold Tip, I was told, moved to Mexico and Victorys are made in the US. I use the V-Force V3s with Blazer 2" vanes. Cabela's Carbon Hunter arrows are ok for starting out but they have flimsy plastic vanes. Give the Victory arrows a try.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
It is my understanding that 90% or more of carbon arrows or raw product is made non USA..

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
i myself would skip the rampage xt look into a used elite here on the classafieds also could probably find a better rest an quiver in the classafieds for around the same as those your looking at you could probably buy an elite out of the classafieds an set it up for somwhere around 700 just my apinion

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well it looks good on paper, however I really like to put hands on the particular model of bow that I'm looking at. That would be my best recommendation. As for arrows, I shoot gold tips, but I wasn't aware that they were possibly non USA now.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Couple things: As many have said search the classifieds for all the accs. I can understand if you want to buy the bow new from your dealer just to form a relationship. Until you start timing, tuning, fletching, etc. yourself the dealer is/could be your best soure of information.

You like the Rampage XT because you shot the CRX? Are you sure they shoot/feel the same? What else have you shot(model not brand)? If your willing to buy a used bow look at Martin/Rytera or Elite. They will stand behind their products.

Also how old are you? If you plan on growing think about bows that will grow with you. You don't want to dish out money every year for mods and strings.

The setup you listed is great, but is it great for YOU. Archery is a very personal thing. What's the "best thing ever" for me may suck for you. Then you will call me a liar.....LOL

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha noo ive shot the rampage xt, the crx32, a newbreed genetix, bowtech z7 extreme, z7, z9, drenaline, bowtech 82nd airborne, allegiance, destroyer 350, quest primal, pse dream season, etc. the list goes on.
the bows that stood out the most are the z7e, crx and rxt. being the crx and rxt are basically the same (diff riser), they shot merely the same.
the crx was a guys bow that works at my local shop. so it was setup while the rxt was not. it was a little more balanced etc but the overall feel was the same. i really liked the feel of it and within my price range, the rxt has been top notch to me, as far as as bare bows go. the crx was a dream but it was setup, therefore it is just a little different. from how the bow feels and handles, as well as opinions from other people, they both shot within eachother.

im 19 years old. turning 20 in a few months. growing isnt a huge factor on me much anymore. ive already outgrown my mom and dad and havent grown more than an inch in i dont know how long. i may grow a half a hair more, but ill be super surprised if i do. and with that said, if i do, it wont be a big enough difference to substantially change anything.

as far as is it great for me, the bow felt great. i was more impressed with it than any of the others i have shot. ive been doing a deal of research, however im fairly new to the newer bows, sights etc. im still using a 7+ year old bow. back then, things were completely different. so, im trying to learn along the way, and still get quality stuff for a good price. i havent had a chance to test alot of these things, but looking at them in stores, reading about them and getting peoples opinions greatly helps.
i like the brightness of the blackgold sight and it looks to me manufactured very well. the rush does not have some of the upper cost sights however. it does not have 3rd axis, nor micro adjustment which would make things easier, but im willing to sacrifice. plus, once i have the sight dialed in, i shouldnt have to worry about it much.
as far as the rest, im not quite sure. i havent heard anything bad about them and a ton of places locally carry them which has to say something. i like the full containment for hunting and it too looks built fairly solid.
stabilizers are another thing that are new to me. when me and my father bought a bow last, people pretty much just threw a stabilizer on it and went. or atleast thats how it worked around here. there wasnt so much technology involved. im going to try a few weights and lengths before i make a final decision on that. i probably wont know until the bow is completely setup.
arrows are the same. i do not have much experience. im actually shooting old carbonforce cx200s in my bow right now and dad is shooting pse carbonforce (i think thats what they are called) 200s. now we have weight forward technology and everything and im in awe trying to learn about them all.

as you can see, im by no means, anywhere even close to a great archer. i love to shoot and want to get into it alot more but my bow is somewhat limiting me. ive had it a long time and wanting to upgrade. i race motocross and know from personal experience what works for some, may not work for me. definitely no problem with that. i was just throwing this setup out there to see what people thought and getting a little more opinions before i spend that much money lol

you guys have been a great help though! keep them coming

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
looks like a good setup to me! i got a $200 release for $100 on here and it was hardly used at all. im sure you can get what you need for a lot less money than new from any store.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It sounds like you've kind of settled on the Hoyt. I went through this about 2 months ago and had my heart (and wallet) set on a CRX 32. But...I shot the Bowtech Assassin and I could not get away from the bang-for-the-buck equation which was just too perfect. I bought the Assassin in Black Ops and have loved my decision ever since. But that was me, and you have to do what feels best for you. Just another "option" to consider.

·
Registered
574 Posts
dont be afraid to say something negative.
OK then - I think you should research "capitalization". :p

Having said that, you going new or used on the bow? On your tight budget, I'd look for a lower priced used bow, and have more money for the arrows and other accessories left - even some really good 2009 and 2010 models, lightly used, will come in quite a bit cheaper than what you've budgeted for the new bow.

Overall though, sure, it's a good setup.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Havent bought a new bow since they invented ebay and AT classifieds are even better. 1/2 price is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a good decision making head on your shoulders go with it. Like I said buy all the accs on here for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha i guess the capitalization part of me was all used at school :p
i dont know that im settled on hoyt, it has just shot the best to me personally. heck, id shoot something from walmart if it felt better. nothing but a name to me :p
i wouldnt mind buying an older bow by any means either.. same concept as what feels best.
the only reason i wanted to buy the bow new from a dealer is to make a a relationship with them, as well as get some tuning help along the way. i dont know many people around here who shoot archery much because i have not been serious about it.
but, i have about a week and a half or so to make final decisions. still going everywhere i can, shooting everything i can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts