Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hunt or outdoor experience....

I have had a quite a few from the first deer I ever saw harvested with my Dad to the first animal I ever shot (squirrel), the fist deer I shot while I was "on my own" or the 6x5 I called in by myself in Darby MT - tons of memories from all over the U.S., but my most memorable experience took place in 2007 when I took my dad to a little secret spot I have in 5C. Before 10:00AM we had seen 6 different buck in bow range, two fighting, one that busted my dad mid-draw, and the GIANT that I had been after kept hanging just on the 50 yard mark. It wasn't in the stand - it was on the 3/4-mile walk back to the truck that I'll remember.

A close second was the 24-hour trip back from KS last year, re-living the week's events. Best part of both is that they were with my pop. I can only hope my son and I will have similar moments over the years......

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Funny how it really doesn't have anything to do with trophy quality.

The really magical ones, the ones that just stand out to me, are all firsts.

First big game animal of course. Mine was a 3x3 whitetail with a 7" outside spread. I was 12 years old, with my Dad, useing his old Springfield 30.06 that I could barely even lift to aim. The buck came running out of a draw that my cousins were pushing and ran by me at 18 yards. I swear, all I could see in the scope was hair, but somehow I managed to put him down with one shot. Never will forget that day.

First big game with a bow. Doe whitetail came under my tree and I mean right under. Straight down shot at 12 feet. No sights, no release, heck... no treestand for that matter! I was just standing on a big branch. She only made it 20 yards, shot square through the heart. I was 18 and, luckily, I had my brother in law to teach me. He let me know that crawling up in a tree without a stand and safty belt was not smart and that shooting straight down at an animal is a risky shot. I never did it again, either.

My first elk hunt was with a rifle, but, man! It was an adventure from start to finish. I had read about it in magazines, heard stories from some that had done it and always dreamed of one day seeing the Rocky Mountains. My Dad got a job in Wyoming and, suddenly, we were moving there! That week was full of firsts and I actually came home with my first elk (a spike), and a fork horn for my first mule deer! This was in 1978 and if it wasn't for one of my sons being born in elk season, I wouldn't have missed a single year hunting them from '78 to today.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My best was just an encounter I was 20' up a tree in Iowa on public ground that I knew pretty well and had seen some 140-150" type deer on. It was middle of the rut early november was set for an all day sit by noon I had already seen 2 nice bucks close but could not stop them they were running a doe so hard. Had a couple hour lull were not much happened then a guy and his kid walked down a trail about 60yds from my stand which is always a little discouraging. About 10 min. after they walked by I hear some crashing coming over the ridge and a doe busts over the ridge with the biggest whitetail I have ever laid my eyes on while hunting right behind her. He was a slick ten with huge mass and everything else to go with that mass probably a 170-180" deer. I stopped him with a grunt and was at full draw but kept coming up with that he was just a touch over 40yds so I let down and just watched him totally in awe how big he was (I set a limit of 30yds on myself back then). What made it so memorable was how big the deer was and that I had the respect for the animal to not take a shot that I wasnt comfortable with even though I may never see a deer that big again while hunting. At this point in my life I think I was just really starting to understand what hunting is really about and really growing as a hunter and not just a guy that hunts I really felt the turning point and it felt good....

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Although all the firsts are stuck in mind forever, most of my personal memorable hunts went out the window when I got to start tagging along with my daughter. Her hunts are without a doubt more memorable for me than my own.

·
Live Free or Die!
8,618 Posts
Although I have many great memories, the following is my favorite.

My brother hadn't hunted in about 8 years. He gun hunted when he was maybe 12 or so. On a cold morning, he fell in the creek. He was soaked, as was his gun and gear. He never really went after that.

Fast forward to 2008. My brother was 21 and myself 23. He ordered a gun tag that year. After a cold morning hunting together and getting skunked, we were eating a late breakfast. That afternoon was perfect conditions. 45, calm, and sunny. I told him we needed to leave ASAP to get to our other property that was 30 miles away. I said, "Kurt, get a shower, let's go!" He remarked, "Calm down, its 11 AM, we have time." I insisted we leave. Finally he got ready. We got to the property at around 12:30. I had another stand that I got ready to hang above one of my favorite ladder stands, so I could call for him and film. We make the march out to the stand, I take about 15 minutes to get the other stand hung about 25' up. He has his shotgun and my muzzleloader with him, in case there is a longer shot.

After about 10 minutes, Kurt is looking bored. He wasn't looking forward to a 5-6 hour sit. Five minutes later, I see a buck approaching. He is about 100 yards away and crossing through the woods, not really coming our way. I whispered, "Kurt, buck! Grab the muzzleloader! He is moving fast!" He whispered back, "Where, I don't see him!?" Being higher up, I could see the deer and he couldn't. Luckily, there was a shooting lane I had cut off to our right. The buck was heading right for it. My brother switched guns and got it up, still not seeing the deer. The nice 120ish buck was in search mode, head down like a dog, approaching the shooting lane.

Just as the buck made the 5 yard wide lane, I let out a mouth grunt to stop him, "Meeehh". Luckily, my brother had the gun up in time and the had the gun ready, just in time. Not two seconds after I grunted, booomm! The smoke cloud covered my brother's view. I had the camera up, but if happened so fast, I didn't hit record!:angry:

I yelled, "Kurt, you smoked him!" A perfect shot at about 80 yards dropped the deer instantly. All he could said was "Wow." "Wow!" "Thats a nice buck!" He had only got about a 10 second glimpse of the deer prior to the shot. After some high fives and whoo-hoos, we went to get the deer. His first deer ever, a great buck. I was shaking and nervous, worse than any other hunt. Hell, I get excited thinking about it right now.

Moral of the story, when you think you have plenty of time to get in the woods, get going! Had we screwed around and got out later in the day, we would have never seen the deer or had the shot opportunity. That is my favorite hunting memory. No monster bucks needed. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The first deer I killed had 8 shots fired at it. A couple of them ended up hitting it, I have no idea how.

My first deer with a bow was a good buck. I have no idea how I killed that either. I had a broken arm in a straight hard cast so it was totally immobile. However, I could keep it straight and still draw my bow.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I've had many that were memorable, but the one to top is the following:

I was hunting at the bottom of a valley, and my brother was a few hundred yards behind me at the top of a different ridge. We were using radios at the time. We both saw quite a few deer that morning and about 8:00 or so, I shot a nice size 6 pointer. He ran down in front of me about 50 yards and I could see him laying there. I called my brother on the radio and we decide to stay the rest of the morning. I stayed in my stand so as not to disturb the area.

About 1/2 hour after I shot my buck, another 6 pointer came out and walked right in front of me. He eventually walked right over to my buck on the ground and starting sparring with him. He would try sparring for about 5-10 minutes and then walk circles around my buck and rub his antlers over all the branches. This went on for about 45 minutes. The smaller buck finally lost interest and walked over to my right and I couldn't see him any more.

After another 1/2 hour or so, I decided to climb down and go check out my deer. As soon as I got the climber to the ground, I looked over to where I last saw the other buck and he jumped up out of his bed.
He ran right up to the top of the hill and stopped. I called my brother to tell him the buck was on the way. A few minutes later, he calls me back and told me he got him. His buck went down within sight, too. He thought he missed his when he heard his arrow hit the rocks. He was just about to tell me he missed and the buck fell over.

I've had many great hunts, but I think it is going to take something really special to top this one.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My most memorable hunt was taking the local legend

I rattled in this buck back in the fall of 1999 from the ground, He was the local legend and just the evening before was filmed goring a big 8 point. He was the most agressive buck I've ever seen. I'm convinced if I didn't shoot him he was going to stomp the living daylights out of me. There were rubs all over the place on 12" poplar trees and fresh scrapes up and down a logging road with warm urine still in it when I started my call sequence. Off the hill he came posturing sideways, hair on the neck standing on end, ears laid flat against his neck and grunting with every step! A 35 yard shot through the laurel and he ran up the logging road tetered and swayed side to side and toppled over!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
1989, Area 99, public land, Wind River Mountains, Wyoming.......

.........watching a bull elk walking down through the trees toward my friend who was bugling behind me - 20 yards - arrow released - white fletchings headed straight for the boiler room - arrow strikes elk and he falls as if shot with a 338 Win Mag! Later find out that the arrow hit the back of the shoulder blade, deflected upwards through the lungs and lodged between two spinal vertebrae.

If I live to be 100, I'll never forget that 3 seconds!

45er

·
Registered
141 Posts
when I was 11 my dad bought me an RWS air rifle this thing shot a .177 pellet at 1200 fps(bad mamajama).Well ol'man Crowley are neighbor had it in for me and took pictures of me shooting eastern cottontails out of season he called the police they tried to use a scare tactic on me.Made my Dad take me to the courtroom to see the Judge(no trial just fear)Of coarse Ol'Man Crowley attended as well.The judge ask my why I would Poach these adoring little bunnies out of season and I said"I was just trying to provide for my family" and she said"Well I did not know you cleaned them and ate them,Tell me son was it worth the trouble you've gotten yourself into"And I said "No mam we havent eaten any of them yet,but I'll call you back after supper and let you know". true story.Now I no that was way wrong but hey I was a kid and at the time thought I was a great white hunter.lol

·
Registered
783 Posts
my first bow kill, little tiny muley, but as i look back it was the happiest time of my life. had my dad right by my side cheering me on. was awesome experience.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My oldest , her first geese. We had hundreds of geese and thousands of ducks land in the spread,.. My middle daughers 325 and 330 shot on an antelope, her also calling a double on geese,. my youngest first goose limit
Best archery miss-up 11 1/2 yards 6x6 :sad:

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
My best was just an encounter I was 20' up a tree in Iowa on public ground that I knew pretty well and had seen some 140-150" type deer on. It was middle of the rut early november was set for an all day sit by noon I had already seen 2 nice bucks close but could not stop them they were running a doe so hard. Had a couple hour lull were not much happened then a guy and his kid walked down a trail about 60yds from my stand which is always a little discouraging. About 10 min. after they walked by I hear some crashing coming over the ridge and a doe busts over the ridge with the biggest whitetail I have ever laid my eyes on while hunting right behind her. He was a slick ten with huge mass and everything else to go with that mass probably a 170-180" deer. I stopped him with a grunt and was at full draw but kept coming up with that he was just a touch over 40yds so I let down and just watched him totally in awe how big he was (I set a limit of 30yds on myself back then). What made it so memorable was how big the deer was and that I had the respect for the animal to not take a shot that I wasnt comfortable with even though I may never see a deer that big again while hunting. At this point in my life I think I was just really starting to understand what hunting is really about and really growing as a hunter and not just a guy that hunts I really felt the turning point and it felt good....

This one goes in the "Gets It" column! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 2 moments that seem to equally stick out in my mind. The first is the 1st day of deer hunting ever with my shotgun- killed a 8 pointer. The second is the 3rd time out with a bow I killed a doe. Whats so special about the 2nd was that I had done scouting and picked my own area and that I actually got the deer within range to shot it. Nothing against guns but the rush of shooting a deer with a bow is mind blowing.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Last seasons December-January hunt in Missouri.
Having so many ATers involved made it an unbelievable experiance.:teeth:
Thanks again guys/girls.

marty

·
Registered
323 Posts
Oct 27th, 2005....My fifteen year old son Bret had got a used Mathews Outback the previous spring, but he hadnt practiced much and I was skeptical of his accuracy when he asked me to take him on his first bowhunt. He promptly went outside and put several arrows in the vitals of our 3D target....so, we climbed into our stand at 4pm and ten minutes later Bret shot his first bow deer at 13 yards. I captured the shot on video..and then unfortunately put the camera away. We decided to sit tight for a few to give the deer plenty of time to expire. Ten minutes later I watched as a great 7pt buck walked down the lane to our stand, and then sat in awe as my son poked the big boy right behind the shoulder. Bret's first bowhunt yielded a two deer, and one of them dressed 205lbs and netted 125 4/8 P&Y...memories that will live forever!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
This past weekend. Me, a buddy and his son went to kansas to hunt turkeys. Our trip ranged from his car throwing a rod just inside Kansas, to him and his 11 year old son getting in a death match after his son missed a turkey, to driving a 25 year old Ford F 250 farm truck that got about 12 miles per gallon all the way home. Great memories.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
It's raining too much, so I decide to can the hunt and head back to my vehicle.
On the way, I spook 3 or 4 deer, so I slow down a little, thinking the noise and cover of the rain might really help me get close to something.
I pop out of the trees and look down this long grassy embankment that is right next to the interstate. Sure enough, there is a deer, barely discernable, standing close to the trees about 150 yards away. If I swing around the other side of the little ridge, I should be able to sneak up....
I slip around the ridge and scuttle down the grassy hill, popping up every so often to make sure my quarry hasn't taken off. Looking good, only about 70 yards away now. It'll be a great chance to put the camo to the test..
Finally, I get to the point where I have to get down on my belly and crawl. Didn't realize this would be quite so difficult with bow, quiver, back pack etc. Unfortunately, I'm now in full view of all the traffic on the highway. Oh well, maybe they wont see me because of the drizzle.
Lift my head up a little higher, to see if the deer is still there - yep. Looks like it could be a doe from the smaller size and she appears to be feeding and quartering away.
I gain another 15 yards on my belly but I'm starting to get really muddy now and I'm in a slight hollow. I sit up and nock an arrow and peer over the edge of the hollow - the deer is about 45 yards away and that's really a long shot for a rookie. I mentally wrestle with it for a second or two and decide not to take the shot. Got to get closer.
Back onto my belly and it will be really slow going from now on, in the wide open, next to the highway, with no cover at all. Fortunately, the rain has let up, but it's still muddy, I'm soaked to the skin and with all the stuff I’m carrying, it's really hard work. A few more yards and I have to freeze because the deer is obviously on alert and not moving. The traffic noise is fairly loud, masking the sucking sounds of the mud and shes' facing the other way... a few more yards... still no movement. I'm starting to get suspicious now that she'll bolt or...maybe, you know that doesn't really look like a leg...another couple of yards and it's not really a shoulder either.. in fact, if I carefully lift up my rain speckled glasses, it looks alot more like a tree stump than a doe.
It seemed that cars on the highway are slowing down at this point, to look and perhaps to laugh, so probably the camo wasn't much good either..

I should also add that it's very difficult to stand up in this situation and maintain your aura of coolness/superiority from being at the top of the food chain. In fact, this is probably when all the forest animals began to disrespect me. :sad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts