Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I need some advice on arrows. My son is six and I got him a Tom Thumb bow, and finally managed to get a sight and a rest on there for him. Now I just need to get him some arrows and he will be shooting with the big boys. Any suggestions? He has a 19" draw and is shooting 15#. I have some fiberglass arrows we got at Wally world for his old recurve but I think he needs some carbons to get the speed from his bow. Any advice is greatly appreciated, just please keep in mind Im active Army so not too pricey. :embara: Thanks for all the advice in advance :darkbeer:

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Adult carbons cut to his length will work great. My kids all shoot my old arrows that broke near the tip, or got robin-hooded. I just chop them down and flex them to make sure they aren't cracked.

Otherwise your local shop should have some Beeman Jr Hunters or Gold Tip Falcons...however, these shafts weigh just as much as the adult carbons.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
AKDoug may be correct about the old "adult" arrows at that low of draw weight but I know from experience when your kid gets up to about 30#'s or so your old arrows will likely be too stiff and not fly properly. I simply don't know about what effect, if any, they will have at 15#.

I tried to do this very thing for my son. It was cheap and easy, BUT I could not figure out why the arrows were porpoising. I made all the adjustments I knew but nothing worked. I asked the local pro-shop about it and they immediately identified the problem as too much spine. My old arrows were way too stiff for his set-up.

Switched to Gold Tip Falcons upon their recommendation and the porpoising immediately went away. They are not expensive either. The only downside is I have been hearing a lot of rumors of Gold Tip financial troubles so you may want to look at whatever the equivalent is in Carbon Express, Easton, Beman etc. if any of them make an equivalent to the GT Falcons.

bbaumer

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Easton Jazz 1213s. Light, fast, and fairly durable. I've used them for children, and grandchildren when they were under 10 years old. They were also cheap. The Falcons were also OK, but they were a little heavier. They also cost a little more. The kids liked the Jazz better. They were visably faster, and the purple graphics were something that the younger kids seemed to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
My 10 year old shoots Gold Tip Falcons.

I shot them when I was getting back into archery too and they are very nice arrows for getting started. Very durable and inexpensive to boot.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Another vote for the Jazz arrows. They are light enough to get good speed. They will not be as durable as carbons but they are a very good arrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts