Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to move my son up to a better bow.
Looking for any recomendations on a decent youth bow that he can grow into and possibly pass down to his 4 year old sister. Don't want one that'll break the bank, but one that'll last and has plenty of adjustment.
He's 7 years old and kinda small for his age. Plenty strong but on the shorter side.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I can't keep the Mathews Mission Menace in stock. They sell out as soon as a get a new shipment.

One bow, one set of cams...17" to 30" draw, 15 to 50 lbs. Every time you adjust the draw length up...you also increase the poundage.

So far the kids have loved the bow and the parents love the price. About $250.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I went with the Parker Buckshot for my middle boy. It was about $325 as a package. His came with the 20-30 limbs, but I can get them swapped for $50 or so, which is a heck of a price for basically a new bow. 10 full inches of draw length adjustment.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I went with the Parker Buckshot for my middle boy. It was about $325 as a package. His came with the 20-30 limbs, but I can get them swapped for $50 or so, which is a heck of a price for basically a new bow. 10 full inches of draw length adjustment.
I agree the sidekick is also a great one

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just picked up a Mission Menace up tonight for my son. He drew one and wouldn't put it down. Said he could hold it all night. Very nice bow and super easy to make adjustments on. It appears to be a real shooter too.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Time to move my son up to a better bow.
Looking for any recomendations on a decent youth bow that he can grow into and possibly pass down to his 4 year old sister. Don't want one that'll break the bank, but one that'll last and has plenty of adjustment.
He's 7 years old and kinda small for his age. Plenty strong but on the shorter side.
Thanks for any help!
My recommendation:

See if your son can keep a 1/2 gallon milk jug (full of milk, obviously) at arms length. A 1/2 gallon milk jug that is full of liquid equates to 3 pounds of mass.

So - If he can keep a 1/2 gallon milk jug still at arms length for at least 15 seconds, then he can handle (mass weight wise) stuff like a Hoyt Trykon Jr, Parker Buckshot, or Diamond Nuclear Ice. All three of these bows are just under 3 pounds.

If he can handle a half gallon milk jug with 2 sticks of butter taped to it, he can handle slightly heavier bows like a Diamond Razor Edge.

-Steve

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Have been eyeing up the Menace and plan on taking him to look at few others this weekend.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
12 yr old girl

Any idea what a 12 yr old girl of average size may be able to draw as far as what weight of bow? I am looking for a bow that can grow looking at a 30 to 40 adjst. with the 18 to 29 lenght any ideas anyone?
Thanks

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
This is a hard one.

The 12 year old girls at my son's JOAD class to my son's school NASP program all draw anywhere from 15lbs to 35.

Their draw length ranges anywhere from 19 to 25 inches (one girl's a very *TALL* drink of water, if you get my drift).

The only way to do it is to measure it out. Have her try out bows with various draw poundages. 20# is a good place to start and then work your way up or down from there.

If she's able to draw 30#, there are a few bows to look at, ranging from the ubiquitous Diamond Razor Edge to the PSE Chaos to the Mission to others.

-Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts