Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I gave a Genesis Pro to my 7 year old. He shoots it well. May be a little big for him right now but will grow with him for many years. I recommend them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Depends on how big the kids are. I have a 5 and 7 year old, both of them small stature. The Genesis Pro I have is way too big for them. I got the mini-genesis which they much prefer to shoot.

My suggestion is to get a bow that they can draw easily, and shoot comfortably, otw they will be turned off very quickly.

Sam

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
the genesis is only like 20 # isn't it, and the draw length will fit anyone I have been told, also heard a rumor that they do make the genesis in 30# now also, what i have seen, very small kids have been shooting them.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My brother bought my niece the Genesis # 20 (i think he said thats what it is) and she's 13 and a beginner and loves it........:wink:
The Genesis Bow....
-Kids cant outgrow it - because there is no specific draw length

-Its simple to buy - no need to measure or fit for draw length.

-Its easy to shoot - beginners wont develop bad habits because the draw length is always right.

"Zero let-off" means no specific draw length
Because the Genesis System™ eliminates let-off on light draw weight bows(where its unnecessary) there are no specific draw length requirements. The result is a bow that fits virtually everyone (15" to 30") and that a young person cant outgrow.

Performs like a bow with higher poundage
A Genesis™ bow, set at 20lbs.(Its adjustable from 10 to 20 lbs), stores and releases energy comparable to that of a 35lb. recurve! Plus, with zero let-off, it has the "holding weight" necessary to "pull the string from your finger," making it easy to shoot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My 5 year old is in the 5% for height and weight so he's just a little dude and he needs the smallest drawlength possible and the physical weight of the bow makes a difference for him too.

My 7 year old is at 50 percentile so he's average and he prefers to shoot the mini genesis too. I did not try them on the regular Genesis. The physical weight of the Genesis Pro was too much for either of them.

I've got the mini genesis cranked down to 6lbs and the arrows (3L-18 easton hyperspeeds and GT Lightnings fly fine from 12 yds I don't have enough back stop beyond that for them to shoot safely)

If the child can comfortably hold the Genesis Pro I'd recommend that as it has the draw stops (which are adjustable and you can just leave them off too) on it. Keyword is comfortably.

Good luck in your search.

Sam

http://www.genesisbow.com/

The new Mini Genesis features:
• 29 1/8" axle-to-axle length
• 6 1/8" brace height
• Adjustable draw weight 6-12 pounds
• Draw length range of 14-25 inches
• 2 pounds mass weight
• Carbon cable guard
• Four popular flavors (red cherry, blue raspberry, black licorice and camo)
• 77 11/16" string length
• 30 13/16" cable len

Genesis
* Single cam compound bow
* Draw weight: adjustable from 10 to 20 lbs.
* Draw length: 15" to 30"
* Percent let-off: Zero
* Axle-to-axle length: 35 1/2"
* Brace Height: 7 5/8"
* String length: 94 3/16"
* Power Cable Length: 37 1/4"

Genesis Pro
* Higher draw weight - adjustable from 15 lbs. to 25 lbs.
* Larger centershot clearance area - accommodates modern rests and allows for advanced bow-tuning techniques.
* Easy-to-adjust draw stop - all you need is an Allen wrench (provided) to change draw stop positions from 18.5" to 30".

·
Registered
703 Posts
Mini Genisis

My 8 year old has the Mini Genisis, he can shoot that one comfortably. We tried the Genisis and he couldn't pull that one at all, so we decided to get him that one. He loves it.

We go into the back yard and shoot water balloons with his, and now his 3 year old brother wants a bow too. Been trying to find a compound bow that will go under 6 pounds but have found that next to impossible. So will probably go for a recurve for the little one. But would sure like a compound that he can grow into too. One thing I have to say is definitley get good form with the Genisis, other thing is make sure that the child is very comfortable with the bow, or they will get turned off.

·
Registered
456 Posts
sbui raises a good point. After getting the bow, target choices is another key to keeping up interest. I have discovered that plain paper targets have limited appeal. Balloons are the preferred target for my kids. But dad gets tired of blowing them up and tying them all the time. Pinatas are the second favorite targets.

·
Registered
962 Posts
salizex said:
But dad gets tired of blowing them up and tying them all the time. Pinatas are the second favorite targets.
Go to a party store, or balloon shop/florist, and get some of the plastic clamps they use. Use an air compressor to blow them up. Believe me, it saves a LOT of time and lung power.

The genesis is a great bow. My daughter got one as her first bow. Then my wife learned to shoot with it. I still pull it out once in a while to shoot in the basement. They are fun for everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Genesis is a great beginner bow. My 10 year old granddaughter learned to shoot on one in a program offered by a local shop. They supply the bow, arrows and instruction on Saturday mornings. She worked her way up to a 295 out of 300 with one. She wants to shoot indoor tournaments this year so we bought her a new bow with higher poundage and a draw stop. Can't go wrong with a Genesis for a beginner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts