Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has any insight on which bow is best for a 7 year old just starting out? I have looked at the Hoyt ruckus jr. Only problem is once he starts shooting good he wouldn't be able to hunt with it. I also found the velocity race 4x4 anybody had any experience with this bow? Looking to spend around $200. Any info would help. Thanks

·
jakeeib
1,406 Posts
7 is a tough age, because he has so much growing to do. It would depend on his size...small for age...big for age? Ther are a few bows out there that have the adjusabilty you are looking for and you could probably find a used one in that price range.
Martin Krypton $299
Bear Apprentice III $250
PSE fever one $300
and the Ruckus along with a few others.
The problem I see with kids that start shooting at that age (and stick with it) is that in a couple years they can shoot better than the equipment can perform; parents then upgrade them.

Good luck and It is always awesome to see another kid introduced to archery

·
Registered
160 Posts
Velocity race is a great bow for a beginner. Do a search on here. I posted my sister in laws deer taken with her race 4 x4

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Its not the draw weight of a bow that is the hardest thing on young kids, it's the actual weight of the bow that's hard for them to hold up. All the bows mentioned, except the Ruckus, will be too heavy for him.

The OP is going to have to suck it up and buy a couple of bows over the next few years for his bow. There's just no way that a 7 year old can shoot a bow that will one day be a decent hunting bow. I am NOT a fan of the Ruckus, but it, a Genesis or a small recurve will help him properly develop into a fine archer/hunter in the long run.

There is no sense trying to get off cheap by saving a few bucks, thinking one bow will last him more than a year or so. In the long run, it'll just harm his development.

Start him off with something that he'll WANT, and be ABLE to shoot all the time. If he has fun now, he'll WANT to hunt with his dad later, when he's actually able.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
7 is a tough age, because he has so much growing to do. It would depend on his size...small for age...big for age? Ther are a few bows out there that have the adjusabilty you are looking for and you could probably find a used one in that price range.
Martin Krypton $299
Bear Apprentice III $250
PSE fever one $300
and the Ruckus along with a few others.
The problem I see with kids that start shooting at that age (and stick with it) is that in a couple years they can shoot better than the equipment can perform; parents then upgrade them.

Good luck and It is always awesome to see another kid introduced to archery

Yep the bear apprentice

·
'13 KTM 450 SX FE
2,267 Posts
My kids are all shooting Mission Crazes'. Might be a little above you budget though.

·
NAASP
6,942 Posts
Mass weight of the bow itself is critical. Don''t buy it now as a "hunting" bow.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
My son shoots a PSE mini burner...as said above its more about the mass weight of the bow than the draw weight. He can pull enough weight to shoot some of the bigger bows that have a big draw weight range...but its the mass weight that really bogs him down. The mini burner is less than 3 pounds and he is able to handle it much better. The bow will go to around 28" draw length so he'll have it for a long time and the poundage can go to 40 so he can hunt with it when the time comes. In reality though i'm sure he will have a new bow before he comes to the age for hunting (in NY the law is 13 I think)...

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
The race 4x4 is as good of bow as hoyt,diamond,bear, and pse youth bows. My uncle bought my cousin one for christmas this year and is def a nice bow. At the pricetag of $150 ( what a youth bow ought to be priced at IMO) its alot of bow. Its very similar to a pse chaos and is adjustable as any.Check em out at velocityarchery.com
Its a shame that the new and used markets for these bows are higher than they should be.....guess ya pay for a name
Im not bashing, jus my .02

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My 7 and 9yr olds are smallish children (short, and a little over 50lbs each), and both shoot an Infinite Edge. It was a little heavy for them at 3lbs (mass weight) at first, but they grew into it quickly. Have your son carry around a 3lb dumbbell in the afternoons, holding it at arm's length every time he thinks of it. Or, put it in the bathroom and have him hold it out while using the toilet (it even seems to have improved their aim in there too :p). The necessary muscles develop very quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the pse mini burner for my 10 year old daughter. The weight of the bow is nice she can hold it as long as needed to aim. The draw weight I got in the bow was 30# and she is pulling it back with no problems at 23#. Another thing about this bow is you can buy the upgraded limbs for around $70 is what I am told so I don't have to go buy another bow in a year when then the 30# is to easy for her to pull back and she has good form to move up to a higher pound. I bought in on line and the the guys I bought it from didnt tune it before shipping. Never bought a bow from any one that wouldn't make sure it was ready to shoot for you, but had to take it to the shop and they charged me $20 normally they charge $45 but I am in there very often. They said the cam lean was very bad on this bow from the factory. So if you buy it on line any bow in that matter ask they set it at the draw length and poundage just to give the bow a once over and make any adjustments as needed so you can shoot the thing when it shows up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts