Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I teach a 4H club archery and I didn't really want to spend a bunch of money on sights. So I started poking around in the scrap bin and this is what I came up with. I found some aluminum extrusion that was an old picture frame and it still had the corner brackets in it. I also found I had a few site pins and I think it's some scrap Delron (sp) plastic.

To put it all to use, I cut the corner brackets down so they were a simple piece of threaded steel that slid inside the extrusion. I then milled the delron to fit in the extrusion slot. Next I Drilled a hole through it for the retaining bolt and drilled a whole through it for the pin and put it together. I drilled the hole for the sight pin slightly smaller so that the pin would self thread and be a tight fit. A piece of plastic bolted on so I would have a plate to mount it to the bow and bingo we were in business with an adjustable sight ready to go. Made up 8 in under 2 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
If your teaching fingers and no peep than those will work great....great job.

I bought some lexan type tubes about 10 years ago and drilled a hole for the bolt to mount onto an old sight frame and then made pins from thin steel rods dipped in florescent orange paint. Worked great until I went with Fiber optics....

Just an idea also.

DIY all the way!!!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once they have shown enough interest to committing to a release and peep sight then I recommend they buy their own equipment. :cool:

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys
I dredged this old thread up because I've made some improvements. Basically some kids want to be able to take the sight off and so I've added the dovetail connector. This also helps change out a broken sight with one from another bow that isn't being used. Quick equipment changes is real handy when you are trying to watch a bunch of kids. I made the Dovetail extension bar from aluminum stock purchased from online metals and ran them through my table saw. I used 2 feather boards to hold the material in place as I ran it through the saw. I know a table saw may not be the optimal tool for the job but I use what I have. for the the knob to secure it in place I purchased 1/2-24 1/2" long hex head bolts. The head is big enough that they can be tightened by hand and if need be you can also use the Allen head too. I just used standard 10-24 sight bolts to attach the picture frame to the extension. I drilled multiple holes in case I need to adjust the overall frame height. I'm not sure I saved any money over buying the plastic sights but being all metal I'm pretty sure they will last longer. Youth can be real hard on equipment.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts