Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old and I are looking to start an annual mans trip this spring. We always hunt the Iowa youth season, but we are thinking about checking out either Nebraska or Kansas. I see Kansas youth season is runs the same time as there archery season, so the hope would be I would hunt with my bow and he would hunt with a gun. Any insight as to where to hunt in one of these states with access to public land and camping nearby.

It appears that Kansas allows hunters under 12 that as long as they are with an adult. Also, like Iowa they don't need to have taken a Hunters safety course (Iowa you need to be 12 to take it). I'm not 100% on Nebraska's rules on this.

Thank you for the help.

·
Have Bow, Will Travel
466 Posts
As I understand it, Nebraska is like Iowa in the regards to taking a youth turkey hunting. I believe the tag for a kid is $5, which is tough to beat. I will be taking my 9 year old to Nebraska this spring. I hunted KS with my son when he was 7. He killed his first gobbler there, a nice Rio/Eastern hybrid, but went with an outfitter. At that time the outfitter had an awesome deal for kids so chose to go there instead of public like I had planned. You may want to look at the NE part of Nebraska at some public land or if you feel like traveling farther look to the Pine Ridge. The Pine Ridge has camping areas as does areas along the south side of the Missouri River in NE Nebraska. I have hunted both with success. I did hunt a ranch in southern Nebraska through a friend of an old classmate. That worked out well too. Best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts