Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the add.

I am in the beginning stages of planning/preparing for a moose hunt in the Yukon. I am hoping to do it within the next 5 years and have it narrowed down to three outfitters: Yukon Stone, Bonnet Plume or Rogue River. They are all pretty close in price.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these outfits? Or, who did you use for your Yukon moose adventure? Could you please share some of your experiences, ie. things you wish you would’ve known ahead of time, things you would have done different, lessons learned, good/bad, etc?

I know there are other places out there that are cheaper or DIY options, but this is my bucket list hunt.

Thanks so much.
Andy Z

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Here’s my input. Last fall, I hunted moose nine days guided with a friend in same camp. We both went one on one with guides. Believe we started Sept nine. We hunted out of boats on a river. We were NW of Fairbanks about two hours by float plane. We saw a few moose, maybe 15 total between the two of us. We were in a 50” or 4 brow tine area. My friend never got close to a moose. I was in easy range of one that was below the size limit. So no shots by either of us. Weather screwed us as it rained very heavy, rose the river and flooded lots of areas here supposedly we would have seen moose.
I have a friend that has gone with Cesar Lake outfitters in th Yukon. He has gone four times and arrowed three bulls. Size wize I believe the biggest was around 50”.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Thanks for the add.

I am in the beginning stages of planning/preparing for a moose hunt in the Yukon. I am hoping to do it within the next 5 years and have it narrowed down to three outfitters: Yukon Stone, Bonnet Plume or Rogue River. They are all pretty close in price.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these outfits? Or, who did you use for your Yukon moose adventure? Could you please share some of your experiences, ie. things you wish you would’ve known ahead of time, things you would have done different, lessons learned, good/bad, etc?

I know there are other places out there that are cheaper or DIY options, but this is my bucket list hunt.

Thanks so much.
Andy Z
Ask each of those outfitters for a list of folks that were successful and more importantly not successful. For the price your going to pay for this hunt I can't see an outfitter screwing you over or being of horsesh$^ quality. It will come down to what each offers and style of hunting each has for when you want to go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My buddy and I went with Ceaser Lake Outfitters, Oct 2017 for a 7 day hunt, we both tagged out. Ceaser Lake's hunting lease is almost 9 million acres, outfitter/owner (Joel Wilkinson) and his guides are excellent, the entire operation is first class. The camp we were at was on a 9 mile long lake and had a small lodge and several small cabins with wood stoves. We were the only hunters on the entire lake. http://www.ceaserlake.com/

My buddy's guide called in a nice bull the morning of the 4th day, and my buddy arrowed him at about 15 yds, right up the hill behind our camp... he has killed 3-4 moose with Ceaser Lake and loves their operation so much that he is going back again this year for a Caribou/Moose combo hunt.

I passed a small shooter at 20 yards the first hour of day #1, my guide called in a couple more over the next two days, and I killed this 61" wide bull the morning of the 4th day. Double lunged him 2x, once at 40yds and again around 25 yds.

Bowtech Experience- Moose rack.jpg
Send me a text message when you can, there are a number of pricey and potentially time consuming logistical issues to deal with when hunting in the Yukon and shipping meat/taxidermy to the US.

Best,

JL

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Bonnet Plume is owed and operated by Chris Mckinnon, they hunt in the Yukon for Moose, Caribou, Grizzly, and Sheep. He has another company Mckinnon & Company Outfitters that is run out of his home (a huge lodge he built himself) for black bear and whitetails.
I have never hunted with Bonnet Plume, but about 4 or 5 years ago i did go bear hunting in Alberta with him. He had lots of videos of his Bonnet Plume outfit, if it is half as nice as his Alberta outfit then it will be awesome. Chris is a super nice guy and runs a first class outfit, i highly recommend them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts