Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in the past the strings on Mathews weren't top notch and got a lot of stretch. Are the Zebra strings on the Z7s better quality/pre stretched or do I need to think about putting an after market string on? I don't want to shoot it all summer just to have the string stretch right before fall. Any input will help. This will be my first Mathews and I think I picked a good time to switch bows.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
I've never had a problem with factory zebra string stretching on me. After breaking them in my peep always comes back to the same spot

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have been shooting mine about 2 months and no stretching so far.My peep sight is still straight too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
That used to be the first thing I did to my new mathews was change the strings and cables, 3 months on the new z7 and after first setting ata and cam rotation they have not moved a mm they are great. Serving is still an issue though.

·
Registered
49,202 Posts
They are good string and cable-----Barracuda's their premium string and cable. I've been installing and selling Zebra's for 10 years now they are ok.:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was leery (after hearing about factory Mathews strings) to shoot the factory strings on my Z7 but I have to say they are holding up well. No stretch or peep rotation and many... many shots on them.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I have seen alot of strings and the stock Z7 strings are really nice. Brown and Red is a bad color combo but its a nice string set.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I put over 1000 shots on my Z7 Cuda string and it hasn't saretched at all. I was told at the shop that if I put anything but factory strings on my Mathews, that would void the warranty. Not sure how true that is, but the Cuda strings aren't bad. The serving is still an issue, but not a big one.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
In my experience, Mathews strings have been terrible. They stretch a ton initially and continue to creep forever. Maybe they've improved them since the last time I used them. I found even the Barracudas to be far less than acceptable in comparison to custom strings.

·
Registered
49,202 Posts
I put over 1000 shots on my Z7 Cuda string and it hasn't saretched at all. I was told at the shop that if I put anything but factory strings on my Mathews, that would void the warranty. Not sure how true that is, but the Cuda strings aren't bad. The serving is still an issue, but not a big one.
After market string and cables will not void your warranty.;)

·
Sultan of Smack
5,441 Posts
The 'Cuda strings came out in '05 on the Switchback. As far as strings and cables go, they are as good as anything out there. The serving would seperate down by the cam but that problem seems to be taken care of.

SCFox

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have never been to fond of the Cuda strings. I never even shot the strings that came on my Z7, I switched them out right away. They tend to fray really bad for me. I love Mathews but the two things that dissapoint me about them is the strings and the grip. Those are the first two things that I change when I get a new Mathews.

·
Registered
810 Posts
There will always be those who will bash any manufacturer's strings because if they didn't do that, how would the after market string makers have any business?

There will also always be those who are gullible enough to fall for all the false hype about after market strings.

You could put most any string on someone's bow without letting them know what you put on; and in most cases, they would never be able to tell the difference or know which string it was.

·
Registered
49,202 Posts
There will always be those who will bash any manufacturer's strings because if they didn't do that, how would the after market string makers have any business?

There will also always be those who are gullible enough to fall for all the false hype about after market strings.

You could put most any string on someone's bow without letting them know what you put on; and in most cases, they would never be able to tell the difference or know which string it was.
More truth than fiction in that statement!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
11,266 Posts
i for one will not use the stock strings and my neigbor is now realizing why roughly 700 shots on his z 7 and the string wont stop stretching terrible strings if you ask me .

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
IMO Cuda strings are as good as any string out there, I shot mine for 3 yrs. with no problems.

·
Registered
49,202 Posts
i for one will not use the stock strings and my neigbor is now realizing why roughly 700 shots on his z 7 and the string wont stop stretching terrible strings if you ask me .
Hmmmmmmmmmm looking at your signature-------wonder where that opinion comes from LOL.:D Funny in all of them our shop has sold never saw that happen. I'm not talking a couple more in the 100+ range;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
factory string - no problems

I had a little stretch in the first week that I had my Z7, but it hasn't moved any since then. I won't change mine until I wear it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts