Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like some input, I've always wanted a z7 (don't really know why all the hype maybe)but I've never shot one, I have a pse omen max and was wondering is it worth giving it up for the z7? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Sultan of Smack
5,728 Posts
Two completely different bows. The Z7 is a super smooth, quiet, forgiving, single cam. It has decent speed, but no where near as fast as the Omen. I've owned the Z and shot plenty of Omens. For a hunting rig, I would choose the Z all day long. Not that the Omen isn't a good hunting bow, but for me, I will take the smoother DC and larger BH for a hunting bow.

SCFox

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Two completely different bows. The Z7 is a super smooth, quiet, forgiving, single cam. It has decent speed, but no where near as fast as the Omen. I've owned the Z and shot plenty of Omens. For a hunting rig, I would choose the Z all day long. Not that the Omen isn't a good hunting bow, but for me, I will take the smoother DC and larger BH for a hunting bow.

SCFox
My thoughts exactly

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Them bows are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. You need to evaluate what it is you want in a bow because those two bows are not an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Them bows are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. You need to evaluate what it is you want in a bow because those two bows are not an apples to apples comparison.
^^^^my thoughts exactly ^^^^^^!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I wouldn't sell my Omen max to get a Z7.
I had a Z7 in 2010 and it was a nice bow.
The previous guys are correct, two totally different bows.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry maybe I asked my question wrong. I guess 2wireweims answered me. I understand they are 2 different bows, I guess I should've asked is it really worth all the hype? I have a Hoyt rampage xt for hunting, I just use my omen max to play around with and was just curious as if it was worth giving it up for the z7? Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
I never had the Omen max but I have had 3 other PSE "speed" bows and the Z7. I would take the Z7 in a heartbeat over the pse's I have owned. The Z still to this day is one of my favorite bows of all time and I have owned a bunch. Its one of the only bows I do regret selling. The Pse's were great bows but I just never could shoot them like my Z7.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
You talking the tortoise and the hare. I believe the people answering this question are comparing a 70# omen against a 70# Z7.
In that case yes, the Z7 would be the way to go.
However, you could get a 50 lb. omen and still be as fast or faster as a 70 lb. Z7.
In that case the nod would have to go to the omen hands down.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
My thoughts exactly

You talking the tortoise and the hare. I believe the people answering this question are comparing a 70# omen against a 70# Z7.
However, you could get a 50 lb. omen and still be as fast or faster as a 70 lb. Z7.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
The odd would not go to the Omen hands down, I've shot a omen a lot and its the worst drawing bow I ever had the luxury of shooting. I could not possibly fathom hunting with one in 10 degree weather and in hunting clothes! Speed means NOTHING when it comes to hunting! I could take a 60lb Z7 with a 350 grain arrow tipped with a Magnus buzzcut and kill any animal in north America with ease!

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
The odd would not go to the Omen hands down, I've shot a omen a lot and its the worst drawing bow I ever had the luxury of shooting. I could not possibly fathom hunting with one in 10 degree weather and in hunting clothes! Speed means NOTHING when it comes to hunting! I could take a 60lb Z7 with a 350 grain arrow tipped with a Magnus buzzcut and kill any animal in north America with ease!
My Omen Maxx at 50# has a pretty nice draw and I would take it over a 60# Z7 any day.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I has an original Z7 the first year they came out and I still think it was the best all around hunting bow I've ever had. Super smooth, quiet , and decent speed. I've never owned an omen but I've shoot a few and that draw cycle is rough not to mention I believe a 7" bh is a much better choice for hunting that a 5" bh. If you know anyone with a Z7 shoot them side by side and I think I know which one you will choose.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
There in lies the problem. Someone shoots a bow once or twice, doesn't like the draw and puts it back. Shooting a 50# omen is totally different than shooting a 60# omen
which is totally different than shooting a 70# omen. I have a friend with a 50# omen and it's smoother than any 70# mathews I've ever shot and they are very smooth.
My statement was a 50# omen against a 70# Z7 not a 60# Z7 but at 50# an omen would be as smooth as a 60# Z7 and alot faster with the same arrow with more KE.
I've hunted with his bow which has the same dl as what I shoot (30") in below 0 temps and never had any problems pulling it back or having my clothes get in the way.
I use an arm guard to hunt with regardless of what bow I use to hunt. I did take a deer with it. True, speed means nothing when it comes to hunting but it is nice to have.
By the same token nobody needs an 80# bow to hunt with but many still do. I was giving the op an option that made sence since he wanted to compare the 2 bows.
Unless you've shot a 50# omen with your proper dl. you really can't compare it to a higher poundage Z7.

·
SuperToon'd
11,804 Posts
For those who say speed means nothing when it comes to hunting..................Really? That's kind of an ignorant statement in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I didn't know there was still hype around about the reg. Z7 ? It's an ok bow but top heavy and pretty slow, like others said I'd take a 50-60 lb omen over a z7 any day! Buddies has a 60lb omen at 29" draw and to me it's pretty easy to draw

If you want to switch to mathews get a chill x maybe, but why a 2010 z7?

Also I have to agree with above, a faster bow is nice for yardage reason, not as critical how is that not helpful while hunting?

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Exactly. A 50lb will be easier to draw then a 70 lb all day long. Why rip up your shoulder when you could be shooting such a light weight. Just sayin'

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Exactly. A 50lb will be easier to draw then a 70 lb all day long. Why rip up your shoulder when you could be shooting such a light weight. Just sayin'

Thanks for backing my play Rod, lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts