Archery Talk Forum banner

Z7 question

1010 Views 23 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  gnamsu
Hi all, new member with a question. I have a 2010 z7 in pretty much new condition that I shot quite a bit in 2018/19 and not until now. Wanting to get shooting and hunting more seriously again. I contemplated selling and buying a new bow but didn’t want to spend the $2500 or more on a new high end unit. Brought it in to the pro shop for new strings, cables, drop rest and 3 pin moveable sight so spending about $1000 or so on it. Is this worth it?.. are the new bows and tech that much better than what I’ll have with this upgraded z7?

*Edit: pics of bow and upgrades added below.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Hoyt carbon spider zt 30,
26 Posts
I have a Hoyt carbon spyder 2015. I tried some newer bow and decided I would use it until I can. I don’t think newer ones are not better somehow but in my level and for hunting saw no benefit. If you like keep it and you will harvest exactly as much game as with the newer one :)

· Registered
V3X 29,VXR 28, Z3, Z7, Switchback, Drenlin, MQ32
16 Posts
Great bow, I have the Z7 and Z3. Personally, I would go for the newer bow rather than investing in the old Z7. Another 3 years and the newer bow, V3X or Phase 4 will still be considered newer technology rather than a tricked up Z7 that is an "old bow". That said, If you expect to keep a bow for years, maintain your Z7 and enjoy it. It only matters what you think, not an internet board.

· Registered
303 Posts
Still have my trusty Z7 and shot it up until I got my V3X last year....great, smooth shooting bow that I love!

If it fits your needs (I wanted a longer ATA.....and just wanted something new) then there's no reason you can't deck her out and keep shooting! If not, head on over to the classifieds and keep an eye out, great deals on great bows to be had everywhere!

What rest and sight are you looking at? Trying to get a sense of what you're getting for the money as I'm not sure how Canadian dollars compare to American dollars [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2010 Mathews Z7
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still have my trusty Z7 and shot it up until I got my V3X last year....great, smooth shooting bow that I love!

If it fits your needs (I wanted a longer ATA.....and just wanted something new) then there's no reason you can't deck her out and keep shooting! If not, head on over to the classifieds and keep an eye out, great deals on great bows to be had everywhere!

What rest and sight are you looking at? Trying to get a sense of what you're getting for the money as I'm not sure how Canadian dollars compare to American dollars [emoji1787]

I didn’t take note of the brands. The strings are the best they offered out of three qualities. The sight is a 3 pin moveable sight (I chose 3 pin instead of 5) I think it’s a black gold ascent pro… and the arrow rest is a drop away changing from a whisker biscuit I had but don’t know the type. I’m sure I’m paying more than US dollars since we usually do and the US exchange rate isn’t great for us rn which affects the stores also. I’m glad now I decided to do this. Still waiting on the strings so haven’t shot it yet, can’t wait.

· Registered
303 Posts
I didn’t take note of the brands. The strings are the best they offered out of three qualities. The sight is a 3 pin moveable sight (I chose 3 pin instead of 5) I think it’s a black gold ascent pro… and the arrow rest is a drop away changing from a whisker biscuit I had but don’t know the type. I’m sure I’m paying more than US dollars since we usually do and the US exchange rate isn’t great for us rn which affects the stores also. I’m glad now I decided to do this. Still waiting on the strings so haven’t shot it yet, can’t wait.
Sounds like you're making some good upgrades! Black gold makes good sights, I've never shot em but know a lot who have! Personally I shoot spot hogg and QAD on my Z7, an old 5 pin fixed spot hogg with a QAD ultrarest, both of which are well over 10 years old, actually closer to 15 and still going strong! It's a great little setup and was my first bow.....probably why i still have it even though I've been enfatuated with my V3X since I purchased it and haven't shot the Z7... [emoji1787][emoji1787]

· Registered
1,516 Posts
I must be the odd one out, I never cared that much for the z7, a lot of reflex and had an elite z28 at the same time so the z7 went down the road. To the op, find yourself a newer used bow loaded with decent accessories on here, sell the z7 for a few hundred, strings are a consumable and just plan on putting some on regardless of what you get

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2010 Mathews Z7
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I must be the odd one out, I never cared that much for the z7, a lot of reflex and had an elite z28 at the same time so the z7 went down the road. To the op, find yourself a newer used bow loaded with decent accessories on here, sell the z7 for a few hundred, strings are a consumable and just plan on putting some on regardless of what you get

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
Appreciate the comment. I really enjoy shooting this bow and haven’t tried a newer model so maybe I should stick to that and not try a more modern one lol. I believe that as in many things newer is sometimes just marketing so the companies can continue to be profitable and more important is to just get out and do it.

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Appreciate the comment. I really enjoy shooting this bow and haven’t tried a newer model so maybe I should stick to that and not try a more modern one lol. I believe that as in many things newer is sometimes just marketing so the companies can continue to be profitable and more important is to just get out and do it.
Thats great, archery is definitely a personal preference thing, if you've found something that you love and works for you, thats great. I have been through a fair number of bows looking for the right one, unfortunately I'm still looking lol, hopefully this v3x 33 is the one, so far so good

· Registered
1,048 Posts
So — you have a bow in working condition (you used to shoot it a lot).

It needs cables and string. Much cheaper to replace just those than the whole system.

You have a relatively cheap, but functional rest. You could keep it, rep just the biscuit (bristles), or replace the whole thing.

You also have a sight, but clearly want another.

Concerned over the ROI?

So, do the cables and strings — must do item.
Keep your rest as is (and upgrade it later in the year)
Take the leap on the sight. Learning the nuances of the new sight don’t depend on the rest.

Only outstanding issue: was this bow new to you? If so, you have a lifetime warranty through Matthews. If not, then part of your calculus needs to include how important a warranty is to you. But don’t forget — warranty or no warranty, you can always get support for out of production Matthews bows.

In the FWIW column, I tend to buy new through my local shop. I have bought one used bow from that shop. Then I hang onto those bows. I realize not everyone has the space to hang onto their older bows. My 2006 SBXT is still one of the nicest shooting bows that I have. The others have been attempts to improve speed, string angle, overall shoot ability.

I have won tournaments and SOY over the years with the older bows and with the newer stuff.

The point, the bow itself is fine. It’s the “want to” that is muddying up your decision calculus.

Best of luck

Shogun1

Reactions: gnamsu

· Registered
2010 Mathews Z7
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So — you have a bow in working condition (you used to shoot it a lot).

It needs cables and string. Much cheaper to replace just those than the whole system.

You have a relatively cheap, but functional rest. You could keep it, rep just the biscuit (bristles), or replace the whole thing.

You also have a sight, but clearly want another.

Concerned over the ROI?

So, do the cables and strings — must do item.
Keep your rest as is (and upgrade it later in the year)
Take the leap on the sight. Learning the nuances of the new sight don’t depend on the rest.

Only outstanding issue: was this bow new to you? If so, you have a lifetime warranty through Matthews. If not, then part of your calculus needs to include how important a warranty is to you. But don’t forget — warranty or no warranty, you can always get support for out of production Matthews bows.

In the FWIW column, I tend to buy new through my local shop. I have bought one used bow from that shop. Then I hang onto those bows. I realize not everyone has the space to hang onto their older bows. My 2006 SBXT is still one of the nicest shooting bows that I have. The others have been attempts to improve speed, string angle, overall shoot ability.

I have won tournaments and SOY over the years with the older bows and with the newer stuff.

The point, the bow itself is fine. It’s the “want to” that is muddying up your decision calculus.

Best of luck

Shogun1
Thanks.. I have the thousand to make these upgrades but not the 2500-3000 for something brand new. Yes I did buy it new and actually have the receipt still even. Didn’t know about the Mathews warranty so that’s even better. I decided I’d rather make the upgrades to this bow than sell and buy used.

· Registered
Hoyt carbon spider zt 30,
26 Posts
Thanks.. I have the thousand to make these upgrades but not the 2500-3000 for something brand new. Yes I did buy it new and actually have the receipt still even. Didn’t know about the Mathews warranty so that’s even better. I decided I’d rather make the upgrades to this bow than sell and buy used.
If you want to sell I recommend just change the string and cabels but no additional updates like sight and rest. Nobody will pay the upgrades and you will lose more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts