Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

Are zebra strings poor quality?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
VXR MARTIN
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the zebra strings any good,??
Keep hearing they should be replaced?
Why would
Mathews use poor quality strings?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
They are plenty fine. Used to win millions and millions every year by the most accurate shooters in the world. Every pro u see shooting a Mathews is shooting zebra strings.

·
Registered
VXR MARTIN
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then why are people saying they stretch out and wear out, and won't allow peep to stay straight

·
Registered
509 Posts
Zebras, like all the strings used on bows from the factory, are mass produced in order to keep up with bow production Therefore quality can be hit and miss. Some sets can be great, others are complete junk. The difference with custom sets is that they are usually made to order, and are hand-built for that specific customer. Quality control can be a lot more particular.

For those, like above, that say they must be great because Mathews pro shooters use them, they forget that true pro shooters are probably receiving custom made sets from Zebra, not off the shelf strings that go on production bows.

Of my four bows, I've had two with junk strings from the factory and had peep twist so bad they were nearly unusable. One was my Diamond Infinite Edge Pro with cheap Octane strings, and the other was my Mathews Tactic with factory Zebras. Didn't matter what the shop did, we couldn't get rid of the twist, even after 200 arrows. Switched them out to ABBs, Pursuits for the Diamond and Platinums for the Tactic, zero twist right away and none in the hundreds of shots after. My other two bows, Hoyt RX3 with Fuse and Bowtech 2020 Guardian with Octane, had zero peep twist right from the start. Both bows got ABB Platinums after 200 arrows so that the "shot-in" factory strings could go in the gear bag as backups.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unlike the masses I actually like the un served endloops on Zebra strings. When a half a twist in the cable is to much to sync your cams a roll in the end loop takes care of it. I have only had 3 sets of Zebra but they where good for me. That being said I replaced one set VXR 31.5 with 60X and my VXR 28 with another Zebra set. I Won't pay Zebra set prices again when I can get custom/ semi custom Cheaper. I'll just roll the yokes instead of end loops on Zebra .

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Zebra Strings on my TRX38G2 were terrible. That's the politically correct and best that I can say in the forum. My Mathews dealer worked and worked on them to try to keep the Peep from turning and never could get it. After several 3-4 hours invested over a few week period, we just swapped the strings. No issues setting the bow up then. Well worth the cost of the new strings.

My sons TRX36, I immediately ordered new strings. I wasn't going to waste my time or my shops time on a set of Zebra strings again.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The strings in the tournaments are not the same the general consumer is getting... let’s be real here.. you think Levi Morgan and Dan McCarthy are dealing with string twist.. no... it’s a completely different string.. plus many of those strings don’t have the zebra logo covering the speed nocks either, so I would be surprised if they are even zebra strings...

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
They are plenty fine. Used to win millions and millions every year by the most accurate shooters in the world. Every pro u see shooting a Mathews is shooting zebra strings.
LOL....Are they.....Or are they using Zebra shrink tubing over the nock sets..?? Think about it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
LOL....Are they.....Or are they using Zebra shrink tubing over the nock sets..?? Think about it.
I don’t have to think about it. I’ve seen plenty of them in person. Same open end loops. Same serving material. Same string material.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
For me...In the last year Ive bought 5 Mathews bows, ONE had a good set of Zebras on it that I'm actually still using. To be honest, that particular set is really good. Still, that sets the success rate with me at 20%

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
I don’t have to think about it. I’ve seen plenty of them in person. Same open end loops. Same serving material. Same string material.
Ok, Levi is using Factory Zebra strings, I'm sure. 🙄
I Personally know Mathews Pro's, trust me, there not. I'm gonna say if any of the Big Names are, they are hand made for them with kid glove care. But I'm under the impression Most of those guys make their own strings, or have a specific person that builds them for them

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ok, Levi is using Factory Zebra strings, I'm sure. 🙄
I Personally know Mathews Pro's, trust me, there not. I'm gonna say if any of the Big Names are, they are hand made for them with kid glove care. But I'm under the impression Most of those guys make their own strings, or have a specific person that builds them for them
It’s in Mathews contract they HAVE to shoot zebra strings. Funny u mention that. That’s Levi Morgan and guess what. That’s a factory zebra string. Trust me they are. If you shoot with any of them it’s pretty clear take a look at their bow won’t be hard to figure it out

Attachments

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
It’s in Mathews contract they HAVE to shoot zebra strings. Funny u mention that. That’s Levi Morgan and guess what. That’s a factory zebra string. Trust me they are. If you shoot with any of them it’s pretty clear take a look at their bow won’t be hard to figure it out

Believe what ya want bud. Although it's pretty Nieve to think that.
Contract LOL,,,, sure contracts. That would do it.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
I could post a Pic of a bunch of Zebra shrink tubes at my buddies place......His "contract" says he has to shoot Zebras as well. Not gonna happen. And that serving you can buy at Lancaster by the roll.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Believe what ya want bud. Although it's pretty Nieve to think that.
Contract LOL,,,, sure contracts. That would do it.
Again I don’t have to assume or Believe I’ve put my hands on several of their bows. Go to the Mathews booth at the next show look at their personal bows. Go to a big shoot look at the bows.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I could post a Pic of a bunch of Zebra shrink tubes at my buddies place......His "contract" says he has to shoot Zebras as well. Not gonna happen. And that serving you can buy at Lancaster by the roll.
So u think they are building a custom set of strings for their bows and then serving it with that junk? LOL u are clueless

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

Here ya go straight from the horses mouth. One of the most honest guys in the industry.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
Riiiight,
So you’re telling me, the same guy that built the 4 (out of 5) Junk sets of Zebras are building them for JB?
I got a bridge in the city to sell ya too.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,196 Posts
So u think they are building a custom set of strings for their bows and then serving it with that junk? LOL u are clueless
And you’re telling me they use Junk factory strings and serving them with that “junk” ( as you call it)
Buddy. If you want clueless look in the mirror!!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts