Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

Are zebra strings poor quality?

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yes they are in discussion more than others but one thing to remember is that they are also used at a rate MUCH MUCH higher than the other factory brands. Mathews outsells the piss out of all the other companies. you’ll always hear more buzz around what more people own. Good and bad.

your poll alone shows more positive results than negative. There are millions of happy customers. Happy customers don’t come to archerytalk and cry about issues. Far more happy customers than not.

the good news at the end of this is another string from your preferred builder is dirt cheap. 150 bucks on the high end. Cheap enough that u can replace it everytime u buy a new bow if your not happy with the current set of strings no matter the brand.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Yes they are in discussion more than others but one thing to remember is that they are also used at a rate MUCH MUCH higher than the other factory brands. Mathews outsells the piss out of all the other companies. you’ll always hear more buzz around what more people own. Good and bad.

your poll alone shows more positive results than negative. There are millions of happy customers. Happy customers don’t come to archerytalk and cry about issues. Far more happy customers than not.

the good news at the end of this is another string from your preferred builder is dirt cheap. 150 bucks on the high end. Cheap enough that u can replace it everytime u buy a new bow if your not happy with the current set of strings no matter the brand.
This is a popular topic for the AT trollers to launch a thread on and then laugh at those who take the bait. Some of them will even interject a comment from time to time to try to keep the thread going.

I personally don't know the sales rate of Mathews vs. other brands but I do know there are a LOT of folks who shoot other brands who like to throw shade at Mathews, for whatever reason.

...already on page 4 here and still no statistical evidence one way or the other as to the quality of Zebra strings, only opinions...and you know what they say about opinions...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
This is a popular topic for the AT trollers to launch a thread on and then laugh at those who take the bait. Some of them will even interject a comment from time to time to try to keep the thread going.

I personally don't know the sales rate of Mathews vs. other brands but I do know there are a LOT of folks who shoot other brands who like to throw shade at Mathews, for whatever reason.

...already on page 4 here and still no statistical evidence one way or the other as to the quality of Zebra strings...
Agreed. I have no statistical evidence. All I know is I’ve tuned and installed thousands of bows and strings and with my process I have a tiny tiny tiny return rate. Not sure I’ve ever had one returned for an issue involving peep twist etc... and then I have my own 100s of thousands arrow count on many different brand of strings of my own without any real issues to speak of. For that alone I always fall back on USER PROCESS that drives the results you get. Not quality of product.

I’m a firm believer that you Can give me any reputable string out there and I can 100 percent make it work the way I want it too. No questions asked

·
Registered
VXR MARTIN
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

...already on page 4 here and still no statistical evidence one way or the other as to the quality of Zebra strings, only opinions...and you know what they say about opinions...
I launched this thread,
Because my peep wouldn't stay straight.
Even though the shop has adjusted it.
I'm fairly new to archery.
And I wanted to know if I needed to buy new strings or the problem was me.
Not to troll....thanks to Bbd16 I'm finally getting some answers that I think make sense.

Dont be so fast to jump to a conclusion.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thats what I thought.
So from what I understand you have to wait how long before you put in a peep on a new string?
Never heard that. All of my bows have had peeps installed the day I took delivery of them. Only two had issues with twist, my Diamond Infinite Edge Pro (to be honest, I doubt Cabela's actually tuned the bow) and my Mathews Tactic. No issues with the Hoyt RX3 or Bowtech 2020 Guardian. Watch any YouTube videos of bow builds, including Mathews bows, and they are all putting peeps in during the initial set-up, not waiting a certain numbers shots. And these are being done at some of the top shops in the country, The BowRack in Oregon, Wilde Arrow in Utah, Spokane Valley in WA...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Never heard that. All of my bows have had peeps installed the day I took delivery of them. Only two had issues with twist, my Diamond Infinite Edge Pro (to be honest, I doubt Cabela's actually tuned the bow) and my Mathews Tactic. No issues with the Hoyt RX3 or Bowtech 2020 Guardian. Watch any YouTube videos of bow builds, including Mathews bows, and they are all putting peeps in during the initial set-up, not waiting a certain numbers shots. And these are being done at some of the top shops in the country, The BowRack in Oregon, Wilde Arrow in Utah, Spokane Valley in WA...
And then they end up here complaining of peep rotation.... and “I’ve been back to the shop 3 times”

·
Registered
509 Posts
And then they end up here complaining of peep rotation.... and “I’ve been back to the shop 3 times”
Nope, never seen any of the guys complain about it. Cameron Hanes sure hasn't, none of the HUSH guys ever have, Ted Nugent never has. Dan from Elk Shape hasn't. Hell, even Dudley puts peeps in during the initial setup.

And with my bows, same shop and same tech set them all up. Once the Diamond and the Tactic had ABBs on them, zero twist, even after 200 arrows. And they all had peeps installed at the start.

Glad you've had success, but I highly doubt that waiting to put peeps in has anything to do with it. Otherwise 99% of the shop techs out there are doing it wrong and getting lucky.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Nope, never seen any of the guys complain about it. Cameron Hanes sure hasn't, none of the HUSH guys ever have, Ted Nugent never has. Dan from Elk Shape hasn't. Hell, even Dudley puts peeps in during the initial setup.

And with my bows, same shop and same tech set them all up. Once the Diamond and the Tactic had ABBs on them, zero twist, even after 200 arrows. And they all had peeps installed at the start.

Glad you've had success, but I highly doubt that waiting to put peeps in has anything to do with it. Otherwise 99% of the shop techs out there are doing it wrong and getting lucky.
Because they are not here notifying you it’s happening u think it’s not? Are their not enough problems here on this sight alone to show u that?

can it be done? Absolutely. Are the chances of peep rotation happening a MUCH HIGHER RATE? absolutely.

when u talk about a higher end shop (and I wouldn’t consider the bow rack one of them seen them make a million mistakes) they also have the knowledge to go back and correct the issue before it’s to the point of no return.

you yourself just mentioned having a problem with 2 of the 4 bows u have. Your batting 50%. That’s enough for me to change my process

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Watch a Dudley bow build. He installs the peep (in his personal strings that’s he’s stretched the piss out of) and then he moves to tuning. But there’s one thing that ALWAYS happens. He goes back to that press after tuning and has to re adjust the peep sight. Everytime.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Watch a Dudley bow build. He installs the peep (in his personal strings that’s he’s stretched the piss out of) and then he moves to tuning. But there’s one thing that ALWAYS happens. He goes back to that press after tuning and has to re adjust the peep sight. Everytime.
Yes, because that is the proper way to do it. But the peep is installed during initial setup. They don't wait for a certain arrow count.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yes, because that is the proper way to do it. But the peep is installed during initial setup. They don't wait for a certain arrow count.
Yes but if you want to skip the step of going back to the press to fix the peep to Rotation the u break in first then install.

In this case of the OP he went home and his peep started turning just like it always does. Now he has to pray his shop has the ability and knowledge to fix the issue they created. If OP never had a peep installed and he went back today with a bow and set of strings that were finished settling he wouldn’t ever be back at his shop or here complaining of peep rotation. It would be a one and done. What’s the point of installing a peep just to run back in a week to have it tweaked?

Him being new and not knowing he’s here questioning the actual string itself just like a million people before him. (Hence why zebra has a poor reputation here) if and when done correctly you wouldn’t hear all this BS about zebras are junk. No your pro shop is junk. That’s the problem. Not the string.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You will always see the complaints and not the praises. Imagine if every single customer posted the positive experiences as well. it would be in the thousands of good per single digit bad.

·
Registered
VXR MARTIN
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
You will always see the complaints and not the praises. Imagine if every single customer posted the positive experiences as well. it would be in the thousands of good per single digit bad.
I'm the OP
I wasn't complaining I just wanted to know why it wouldn't stay straight.
I would agree with you 100%

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Don’t be fooled by my comments either because there are absolutely faulty strings made by every brand that can and will cause peep twist. It’s not 100 percent always the user. Don’t wanna mislead u into thinking mistakes are never Made in string building

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
You can watch Chris Bee on you tube shoot and it drives me nuts that his peep is rotated at rest.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You can watch Chris Bee on you tube shoot and it drives me nuts that his peep is rotated at rest.
No way!!! Not a pro Mathews shooter dealing with the same thing us normal guys are!! I thought they had handmade zebra strings that were of MUCH BETTER quality than the “junk” were using!! MUCH different than ours !! LOL sorry I had too. I’ve noticed it as well.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I’m shooting a new Mathews Atlas. After about 100 shots, my peep had rotated a bit. My pro shop fixed that. I’m at about 500 shots now.
The peep is holding. I had my pro shop check the timing on it this morning, it was perfect.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
No way!!! Not a pro Mathews shooter dealing with the same thing us normal guys are!! I thought they had handmade zebra strings that were of MUCH BETTER quality than the “junk” were using!! MUCH different than ours !! LOL sorry I had too. I’ve noticed it as well.
That so awesome, the "Archery Gods" have spoken again, so it Has to be true!! If Chris Bee's peep rotated it has to be one of the Junk strings that everyone else pulls off their bow.
This archery God here got to pay a few pros to shoot next to them on a line and he's a self proclaimed archery god now LOL
Now he teaches old ladies at the local country club, and he's a "Pro" LOL
They told me its true so it has to be

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
That so awesome, the "Archery Gods" have spoken again, so it Has to be true!! If Chris Bee's peep rotated it has to be one of the Junk strings that everyone else pulls off their bow.
This archery God here got to pay a few pros to shoot next to them on a line and he's a self proclaimed archery god now LOL
Now he teaches old ladies at the local country club, and he's a "Pro" LOL
They told me its true so it has to be

Attachments

61 - 80 of 107 Posts