Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

Are zebra strings poor quality?

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
No way!!! Not a pro Mathews shooter dealing with the same thing us normal guys are!! I thought they had handmade zebra strings that were of MUCH BETTER quality than the “junk” were using!! MUCH different than ours !! LOL sorry I had too. I’ve noticed it as well.

For being an (self proclaimed) archery god, you sure are arrogant. Feel bad for the WASP ladies at the country club you teach at.
Do you always give bad info that’s wrong?

Here’s a pic of one of your “man crush” pros’ bows.
Oh Boy!! What’s that?!?!?!? Served end loops on a stock zebra string?!?
Ohhhhhh maybe the archery gods are wrong?!? Say it ain’t so!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
For being an (self proclaimed) archery god, you sure are arrogant. Feel bad for the WASP ladies at the country club you teach at.
Do you always give bad info that’s wrong?

Here’s a pic of one of your “man crush” pros’ bows.
Oh Boy!! What’s that?!?!?!? Served end loops on a stock zebra string?!?
Ohhhhhh maybe the archery gods are wrong?!? Say it ain’t so!!

That could be anyone in the worlds bow. And likely is. I’ve showed you the bows and FACES. Quit trying bro. You’ve lost the battle. Your wrong. And it’s ok. You backyard pro shop buddy doesn’t count. They are not under contract getting a check.

your local dealer convincing you he’s somebody is not impressive.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Regarding quality... maybe what's on target vs hunting bows is different, though I doubt it. I got some spares for free when I got my pair of 60# TRX40s. No issues with the three string and cable sets I have been thru. That's not a big sample size, I know, but once shot in, I would have no hesitation relying upon any of the stock Zebra string and cables sets I have used, in competition or otherwise. They've been stable (once shot in) and have worn well. I have not found the lack of end servings an issue.

I suspect the vast majority of VXR/V3 'failures' to be user induced, with a handful caused by bad sets of cams with burrs on them (which is a known issue). Inexperienced shooters, high draw weights and short A2A bows is a recipe for derails.

From the target side, I would see no reason why a Mathew pro would not shoot them, if they're like the ones that have been thru my TRXs. It takes me no time to shoot in a set of strings and cables at an average of around 200-500 arrows per week, so I would imagine that a pro would have no issue shooting a set for a day or two before setting timing and installing a peep.

As an aside, there is definitely something a bit different about how they feel on the shot and the sound. If there is a different way the fibres are constructed, vs stock BCY material that might account for it. Maybe this is why the Zebra strings area of the production facility is strictly off limits to visitors (so I was told by a large European distributor that visited)

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
That could be anyone in the worlds bow. And likely is. I’ve showed you the bows and FACES. Quit trying bro. You’ve lost the battle. Your wrong. And it’s ok. You backyard pro shop buddy doesn’t count. They are not under contract getting a check.

your local dealer convincing you he’s somebody is not impressive.
Sorry bro. You’re wrong. Under contract, literally have never been with him at a pro shop. He’s usually on the road.
Can’t show faces. His contract says he has to shoot zebras, so archery gods like you can spew their junk

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Sorry bro. You’re wrong. Under contract, literally have never been with him at a pro shop. He’s usually on the road.
Can’t show faces. His contract says he has to shoot zebras, so archery gods like you can spew their junk
Uh huh. I see. I showed faces no problem. LOL ur like that little brother that just keeps trying.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
I know it's hard for an archery god to admit their wrong, it's ok. The WASP ladies at the club probably still listen to you.
Far as I'm concerned this pretty well wraps this discussion up. Keep them ladies working on their short game, thats really important.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I know it's hard for an archery god to admit their wrong, it's ok. The WASP ladies at the club probably still listen to you.
Far as I'm concerned this pretty well wraps this discussion up. Keep them ladies working on their short game, thats really important.
So your “knowbody” holds more value with no face than 3 of the best in the world that we can SEE? LOL ur a nut.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Imma leave this right here.

Reactions: Bbd16

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Never heard that. All of my bows have had peeps installed the day I took delivery of them. Only two had issues with twist, my Diamond Infinite Edge Pro (to be honest, I doubt Cabela's actually tuned the bow) and my Mathews Tactic. No issues with the Hoyt RX3 or Bowtech 2020 Guardian. Watch any YouTube videos of bow builds, including Mathews bows, and they are all putting peeps in during the initial set-up, not waiting a certain numbers shots. And these are being done at some of the top shops in the country, The BowRack in Oregon, Wilde Arrow in Utah, Spokane Valley in WA...
You forgot Lancaster Archery also. I would consider Wilde Arrow a top shop in the country. I’ve been in there because it’s pretty much all I have available and I haven’t been impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
So your “knowbody” holds more value with no face than 3 of the best in the world that we can SEE? LOL ur a nut.
Uhhhhhh huhhhh.....
Guess you been Had there buddy.
So you PAY! To go shoot with some pro guys....and they have “zebra”string in their bows.
Well, when theirs Money on the line I guess they use the “good stuff”
Huh.
Maybe an open forum apology in order. LOL.
You’ll come back with some BS excuse. But you know your wrong and that’s all that counts there Mr. AT archery god. LOL

This was this weekend in London KY

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
Uh huh. I see. I showed faces no problem. LOL ur like that little brother that just keeps trying.
No I'm actuality the Big brother trying to tell you the Truth that you AT archery gods refuse to believe.
Ohhhh, and By the Way....the shooter that snapped that picture was on the podium this weekend in one of the Open Pro classes receiving some pretty nice checks. LOL

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
In his own strings…not factory junk zebra strings. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess they only use the Awesome Top of the line Mathews strings when there isn't Money on the Line.LOL

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No I'm actuality the Big brother trying to tell you the Truth that you AT archery gods refuse to believe.
Ohhhh, and By the Way....the shooter that snapped that picture was on the podium this weekend in one of the Open Pro classes receiving some pretty nice checks. LOL
Lmao your still trying to get this figured out huh? They are zebras dude. That picture is old as hell. He’s not shooting a 3 finger attachment on the fulkrum anymore nor that pink grip. Get gone somewhere

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
Lmao your still trying to get this figured out huh? They are zebras dude. That picture is old as hell. He’s not shooting a 3 finger attachment on the fulkrum anymore nor that pink grip. Get gone somewhere
Really an “old as hell” picture while shooting a TRX 34.......
I love you AT archery gods.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
Decent string from factory
With serving on the end loops and no nock sets.....OK. Maybe it was made at the factory, very very possible.
But it’s certainly not a string off the shelf like the rest of us buy!!

Mr AT archery god would have you believe he gets the exact same string we get. But I just blew that up in his sorry face

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I voted "Yes" that Zebra strings are of "Poor Quality".... But, let me explain:

1) I personally have never had an issue with Zebra strings on the Mathews that I owned.

2) Guys who are much better tuners and much more experienced at this game than I am, have been hit or miss with "Zebra Quality". Examples that I was at least partially involved in:
  • One guy could have his peep straight at rest or at full draw... not both.
  • One guy had his TRX36 in to Lancaster 5 times in 4 months for peep rotation issues.
  • Multiple other guys I shoot/shot with had stretch issues for MONTHS... The bow would shoot lights out for a week or so and then bam.... he's all over the place. (cams out of sync, ATA/DL change etc)
  • I was in a shoot-off at a tourney and the guy next to me had his Zebra string fail at full draw. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

3) I'm NOT saying ALL/EVERY single set of Zebra strings that comes off the factory floor is garbage. (See comment 1) I'm saying that it seems like they have a larger number of failures/issues than other factory strings.

4) I AM saying that if I decided to buy a Mathews tomorrow, I would order custom strings for it the same day and wait to set it up until I could install them.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,195 Posts
You’re RIGHT, mr AT archery know it all god!!! It IS an old picture!! LOL
It’s from FOUR whole days ago!! (June 4th, as seen on his FB page)
LOL.
Served End Loops, and NO nock sets!!
Right off the shelf at Zebra. LOL

I’m finished with you! You’re like a nickel trying to keep up with the $100 bill. LOL

81 - 100 of 107 Posts