Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever do the math to see which one comes out top $ wise?

The disposables are like 30c each and you can use 1 at a time in your muff.

I know the zippos need their burners replaced and obviously fuel (and initial purchase price).

Also, besides $, are the zippos heavy and too big for use in a muff?

But, which one generates more heat? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Does anyone use Zippos for hunting anymore?
When I was a kid, just about everyone carried one when it was cold (including me). Except then they were called Jon E Warmers. Now I don't know anybody that still uses them while hunting. Yes, the Zippos generate a lot more heat, but they also put out a lot of odor, which is why I think everyone switched to the chemical packs. Plus they are heavier, and when they run out of fuel, you will have no heat for the rest of the day. You can carry a half dozen disposable packs for what a Zippo weighs.

·
outback1
5,057 Posts
I bought my wife one of these, she likes it and it is order less
Celestron® Elements ThermoCharge 6 Handwarmer and Charger

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never thought about odor. Is it a legit problem?

I was thinking about putting in my my muff in the bag and leaving it there.

Also, 6 hour one vs 12 hour one? The 12 hour one looks huge.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hot hands = 30c each but after 2 hours, they start to lose heat. I'm guessing you would use 2? So maybe 60c a trip?

Zippo lighter fluid = $7 for 12 oz = 360ml, and 6 hour burn apparently uses 10ml, so 20c per use for full heat (110F) at 6 hours.

But you need replacement burners for the zippo, maybe 50 uses for $6.50, so 13c a trip.

So Zippo is 20c fuel + 12c burners = 32c a trip for 6 hours high heat
Hot Hands = 30c for one, less heat after 2 hours, probably will need 2, up to 60c a trip

But we are talking cents here. Seems like it comes down to more the convenience factor, and odor seems to be a concern.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Never used the zippo hand warmer. My only problem with the hot hands is they never seem to really be all that warm and they lose heat quick.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I still use the zippos and never had a problem with the smell. Actually purchased a new set last year and saw deer every time out

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I buy hand warmers by the case at Sams a lot cheaper than 30 cents each and they last more than4 hours.

·
southern traditions
5,003 Posts
I use the large body hothands they put off more heat and last longer than the small hand ones .i also use the adhesive ones when it's really cold one on the kidney and one around the heart area keeps ya nice and warm

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I use the large body hothands they put off more heat and last longer than the small hand ones .i also use the adhesive ones when it's really cold one on the kidney and one around the heart area keeps ya nice and warm
Yeah the big ones are legit and get hot I like those for my girly hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I was young, we used Zippos but I stopped some time in my late teens and switched to Hot Hands 1-time use packs.

I recently started again for the really cold days and was reminded how great they are. I used a Zippo 12 hr numerous times last year for duck/goose and couple deer hunts.

That thing gets warmer than Hot Hands packs and it stays hot well beyond 12 hrs, probably good for 14-15 hrs.

It does put out a faint smell like kerosene/naptha. I did not have any close deer encounters on the two days I used it, can't say if that was the result of the naptha or not.

I can say I was impressed with the heat and the burn time.

JL

·
Huntoholic
1,722 Posts
I prefer my hand to be a little cold, if I use a hand warmer then grab a cold bow and hold it waiting for a shot, my hands start freezing quickly and it's not long I'm cold all over. Anyone else have this problem or am I just special?

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
I buy the 10hr body warmers at Walmart at the end of each season. They almost always sell for 1/2 price, $2.50 for a 10pk.
I'll buy 20 or so 10pks, split them up into singles and vac. pack them in my meat vac. So they stay good until the next fall.
I use alot of them when it gets cold, I like to stay warm.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
We used all of those then went to Thermacell rechargeable handwarmwers. Got them on sale at Menards for like $10 each I think.

They work great. Used them for 2 seasons now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts