Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody on here ever bowhunt the public ground in Allamakee county Iowa in Zone 9 around Dorchester, Iowa or Lansing, Iowa? I have 2 preference points as of now and was thinking about trying to get a non resident archery tag for next fall. If anybody has, did you see any big bucks 150" or higher? Was there a lot of hunters hunting it?
Just trying to decide if a $ 580.00 tag is worth it. I live about a 1 1/2 hours from those areas.
Both areas are around 2,000 acres each and from the looks of the aerial map, it looks like awesome big buck habitat.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Anybody on here ever bowhunt the public ground in Allamakee county Iowa in Zone 9 around Dorchester, Iowa or Lansing, Iowa? I have 2 preference points as of now and was thinking about trying to get a non resident archery tag for next fall. If anybody has, did you see any big bucks 150" or higher? Was there a lot of hunters hunting it?
Just trying to decide if a $ 580.00 tag is worth it. I live about a 1 1/2 hours from those areas.
Both areas are around 2,000 acres each and from the looks of the aerial map, it looks like awesome big buck habitat.
I've never hunted that zone, but the public land in Iowa is hunted fairly hard by locals. The area I hunted was very good, but hard to access without some effort to get away from most of the pressure. Most of the private was leased to outfitters, or recently purchased by big money out of state type guys. If you hunt public, you will see hunters. But you can still do well with some effort.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It will probably take 3 points to draw zone 9 bow tag. That leaves two winters to do your scouting. Plenty of time to figure things out for yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will take at least 3 points for a bow tag. PM me if you have any questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts