Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Many years ago before they started the draw system, used to go to Demoines & sit in line to buy the NR tags.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh ok just headed out for late muzzleloader and had a couple places in mind to hit and wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with any of them

·
Registered
304 Posts
I gun hunt Clayton Co around Volga. Bow hunt in Central IA, think it's zone 4, but as a resident I'm not very familiar with the zones.

There's not much public ground and I think you might have some troubles going door to door to get permission. But there are quite a few farmers that do let us push their timber for a bottle of whiskey, we do have a couple local boys in the group so that helps.

It's hilly country and there's plenty of deer in the 2 counties, just have to be willing to get in and get permission.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've hunted both counties for well over 50 years. Huge bucks in certain areas, but everyone local knows where they are located due to social media and trail cams. The conservation officers actually watch certain areas within these two counties for poachers because of the all the fuss a large buck can make. Your chances of getting on private land is slim to none. There is however good public land in both counties. Some years they get hunted hard both bow and gun. Other years not so much.

·
Registered
15,394 Posts
Check out the Iowa DNR hunting atlas
Plenty of public land in that area.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts