Archery Talk Forum banner

Info to include when you want help / glossary

58K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Kmart2023 
#1 ·
In Light of so many requests for "recommendations" I thought this thread might help.

First of all AMO or Archery Manufacturers and Merchants Organization put out a document that has all the "Standards" that we as archers use. They used to be at www.amo-archery.org but that website seems to now be a search portal.

You can find the document if you search a bit. I found a copy here. http://www.thearcher.com/depot/resourceCentre/AMOStandards.pdf

Since the internet can be such a poor communication medium, Let's see if we can help guide you in advance.

Things that help us as instructors/coaches with guiding you. (if you have this info in your signature that works too)

If you don't know, that's OK we can ask questions to guide you but this may eliminate some of the "I need help with " followed by several responses asking all the questions over and over.

Obviously not all the information may be necessary but the more information you give the community, the better we can help you.

Subject
What does your request involve? Tuning, form, basic instruction, arrow selection, equipment recommendations, etc

In the Skills/demographics category

Level of archer, beginner, Intermediate, advanced, competing.
If you want to be more objective maybe distance and scores. ie 18M 40cm Fita target 275/300
Style of archery. (barebow/traditional, Recurve, Compound) and class/age/gender (youth, young adult, adult if you don't want to give your age)
How long have you been shooting? Have a coach or self taught
Left or Right handed. (eye dominance if you know)

In the Equipment category

Left or right handed.
Exact equipment using.

For example a basic request might include.
RH, Hoyt GM, 25" td4 series. 36" medium limbs. 8125 string. Single rod Stabilizer. no vbars, Plunger, basic sight, etc..

Shooting equipment,

Tab, Glove, release (if compound)

Arrows if known, length of arrow spine/series, vanes, feathers, type and size, Point weight, nock type, etc.. The more information the better.

Symptoms
Arrow flight. (fish tailing, Porpoising, spiraling)
Bare shaft lands where at what distance?
nock position (high right compared to fletched arrow
Group size at what distance?

if a form question, "arrows group low left as I tire", or "can't keep pin on target as I get to 70M"

Setup and measurements

Draw weight at what draw length. Calculated or measured..

NOTE: Draw length is measured from bottom of nock grove to the pivot point (where the web of your palm presses into the grip) +1.75"
NOTE: For best results draw weight should be measured with a scale but calculations are better than nothing.

String info should include type, strands, serving type, nock type.

Other setup info that is helpful, Brace height, tiller, nock height, exact brands if possible.

Arrow info for more technical questions should include make/model/spine. Length of arrow, Point type/weight. Nock type.

Goals or outcome desired

What are you trying to accomplish with this inquiry?

Be realistic and Honest.

See less See more
#30 ·
Carbon Express arrow spine chart ala Limbwalker.

Here's the Chart in a better PDF.
If you download it to your computer, you will get a clearer image.

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT the Carbon Express official selection guide. It is a chart based on real world Observations and compiled by John Magera.

Darker shaded blocks indicate an actual in use configuration by someone in his club.

View attachment 2013 CX recurve shaft chart magera version.pdf

#34 ·
Info from John's (Limbwalker) rules of thumb for arrow selection

This from Limbwalker's Rules of thumb for arrow selection

I get about 3-5 PM's a day here, and another 2-3 emails a week about selecting arrows for recurves and barebow rigs.

I thought it may be helpful to post some general "guidelines" I have stored in my head, based on many setups I've tuned for students and fellow archers.

Just like arrow selection charts, remember, these are starting points. Nothing else. YMMV is a given when it comes to tuning arrows from a bow shot with fingers.

So here goes:

2500 spine (1214 Jazz) work from bows that are about 22# @ 22"

2000 spine Medallion XR's or 1413 Jazz/Tribues work from bows that are about 24# at 24"

1500 spine Medallion XR's and A/C/C's work from bows that are about 26# at 26"

1200 spine CI Ultra Fast (5/15 Super Clubs) and 1150 spine A/C/C's work from bows that are about 28# at 28"

1000 spine Victory VAP's, 10/20 Super Clubs and CX Nano SST's work from bows that are about 30# at 30"

(do you see a pattern there?)

800 spine 15/25 Super Clubs, Victory VAP's and Nano SST's and Nano Pro's work from bows that are about 32# at 30"

600 spine A/C/E's, X10's, NPX and SST's work from bows that are 40# at 30" (Rick McKinney gave me that little nugget in 2006, and I've never forgotten it).

500 spine A/C/E's, X10's, NPX and SST's work from bows that are about 45# at 31"

450 spine (what I use) A/C/E's, X10's, Nano SST's and Nano Pro Xtremes work from bows that are about 47# at 32"

These are some rules of thumb for recurve archers with normal stabilization. Barebow archers can expect to be on the slightly weak side with these arrows, and will need to lean toward a slightly stiffer solution (shorter shaft length, lighter point weight, stiffer shaft, less draw weight, more nock-end weight, etc.)

Hope that helps.

John
A correction of data for Carbon Impacts however,

1500 spine Carbon Impact Ultrafasts would be the same spine as a Superclub 5/15. These would fit with the 1500 Medallion XR's (or pretty close)

1200 spine Carbon Impact Ultrafasts would be the same spine as a Superclub 10/20. The difference using pin nocks however will make the Ultrafast just a touch stiffer. and These would be the next step between the 1500 Medallion XR's and VAP 1000's or somewhere close. I've found that the Carbon Impacts do indeed dynamically spine similar to the Medallion's all other parts being equal. (in other words will get you in the ball park).

The next step in Superclub is a 15/25 and that's around a 950 spine. You can insert these just below the VAP 1000's and are probably pretty close to the VAp 1000's with some adjustments made for point and nock weights.

#35 ·
String/serving notes

Often asked what size serving, for what nock.

... this is the reference that I've compiled from the forum over time:

Small-groove
14 strand 8125g with 0.019
14 strand 8125g with 0.021
16 strand 8125g with 0.014
16 strand 8125g with 0.015

Easton or Fivics small-groove nock
12 strand 8125g with 0.021
14 strand 8125g with 0.018
16 strand 8125g with 0.015

Beiter small-groove nock or Fivics large-groove nock
14 strand 8125g with 0.021
16 strand 8125g with 0.018
18 strand 8125g with 0.015

Large-groove
18 strand 8125g with 0.018
18 strand 8125g with 0.019
20 strand 8125g with 0.015

Beiter or Easton large-groove nock
16 strand 8125g with 0.021
18 strand 8125g with 0.018
20 strand 8125g with 0.015

McKinney nock
18 strand 8125g with 0.021
20 strand 8125g with 0.018
22 strand 8125g with 0.015

----------
Thanks Sean for letting us copy this info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.