Archery Talk Forum banner

Cold weather down apparel for running and gunning

317 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  adr1601 
#1 ·
What brand jackets and pants are you run and gun guys bringing in the field for your hang and hunts in cold weather? Not looking to spend money on a Sitka or First Lite system. Preferably a down material jacket and pants that can pack down well for limiting space and weight for travel. Have not been able to find much for the whitetail guy in these specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
In for the replies - I wear a lightweight merino shirt and then army issued ecws grid fleece quarter zip then a C4E element jacket or under armour rut jacket and can do 20* no problems.

Late season in Iowa is routinely below that, I would also be interested in something lighter and packable for the windier days!

#3 ·
I have found that the Sitka/FL stuff packs down very well for how warm it is and if you buy right (good used items that are 1/2 the price of new) is money well spent in the long run. YMMV.

Most less expensive down outerwear will not have a windblocker layer. The windblocker layer is very important to me.

Also I think a lot of these type of choices depend on if you are going to stand hunt or be relatively active while you hunt.

#5 ·
I would never wear down for running and gunning activities, but once you stop you can throw on any number of down garments that are out there. None of my down is camo or from a hunting company. Plenty of options out there. My lightweight 800-fill down jacket was on clearance from Costco for $15 a few years back. It's warmer, more comfortable, and obviously much cheaper than the KUIU down jacket I used to have. But I would want something more quiet over it as an outer layer as well, even for sitting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.