Archery Talk Forum banner

Backyard Target

3K views 56 replies 47 participants last post by  Dre3181 
#1 ·
Looking for a new target for the back yard, i can shoot up to about 100 yards in my yard. My current target lasted about 2 years looking for more longevity and better weather resistance. Any sugestions?

#8 ·
I recently got a big boy target in 36”x36”. I like it. It was surprisingly lighter then I was thinking it would be which isn’t great considering it’s a bit tough to pull arrows from it. They don’t stick like some targets just a consistent hard pull. Lube reccomended. should last a really long time. Great target for the price. If only the shipping wasn’t so high..

#11 ·
I’m making one of these for my back yard. It will last forever.

View attachment 6770269

Material is Elastafoam from Archerytargets. com. Then all you need is a garden wagon, a sheet of 3/4” plywood, couple 2x4’s, 4 I-bolts and 4 ratchet straps!!

Total cost, including everything should be around $500.

Foam - $379
Wagon - $80 at harbor freight
Wood - $25
Bolts - $8
Straps - $15

I have the Elastafoam in my basement for my indoor range so I speak from experience. You will not need another field point target for 15+ years! I’ve been shooting mine for over 2 years at 18.5 yards and I’ve never had to rotate any of the foam yet and my arrows do not even poke out the back!!! BEST STUFF EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I have lofting shed used for horses 12x12 and don't have horses any more. I've got 2- 48"x48" block under cover in shed and can shoot out to 70Yd. After shooting I'll cover face so doesn't get direct sunlight. There about 12" off ground. I do have some small blocks I can set in front or 3-D.

#17 ·
Does the foam have to be Elastafoam? Although I am not familiar with that foam, would any closed cell foam work? There must be cheaper options. The mount system posted above is awesome. I can build that without too much effort. If there was a cheaper foam option, I could build two.

#18 ·
have you youtube'd building one out of carpet remnants? ive seen a lot of people do that. personally I built a big heavy duty frame out of lumber and hung a 4'x6' horse mat on it, then we just hang morrell bag targets from the frame in front of the mat. works great, but is not very portable, however I can take the bag targets wherever I want, and swap them out at will. between me and my friends we have 3 different bags to choose from.

#19 ·
I am fortunate, I work for a company that makes blob targets as a by product. I've had at least one blob in my backyard for over 30 years now. And just like a 3D target, they last better if you paint them with latex house paint first, then shoot them. I have a few in the backyard now, and at most of my relatives homes as well. Makes it nice when we go over there for Thanksgiving and Christmas.....

#20 ·
What has helped with all my backyard targets is (1) getting them elevated off the ground, and (2) keeping them covered (I have a galvanized tin roof over mine). Add a piece of stall mat, hanging behind them for a piece of mind, and you can't go wrong.

#24 ·
Third Hand Man targets are hard to beat. Get a set of skins, build a frame, head to Goodwill and by rags, stuff target, stop. Shoot for years and be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.