Archery Talk Forum banner

When have you had the best success rate?

• I have had the most success in the morning

Votes: 101 34.2%
  • I have had the most success in the afternoon

Votes: 134 45.4%
  • My successful harvests occurred at random times

Votes: 60 20.3%
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
hello Derrick

See your from my neck of the woods.:)

You hunting local at all?

When I hunt local around town the deer movement is a lil' different due to human density when it come to spotting bucks.

Always at dark, until the rut or a large snow storm.

Howdy Mike

Mike
You hunt metro a lot? The closest I hunt to home is just this side of Watertown. I've got a couple spots over that way. Not too heavily affected by human activity. Otherwise, I do most of my hunting along the WI side of the St. Croix. I've got exclusive access to some pretty awesome land up by Osceola. I've been thinking about looking into some more local opportunities close to home that don't require taking a half day off work for an evening hunt, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Good luck if you're out this weekend!
Darrick

I see more total deer in the evenings, but more racked bucks in the morning. I have no theory as to why other than buck around here simply aren't moving early enough in the evening to get where I am, but are still en route to bedding in the morning. I've seen very very little rut activity in the evening, but that may be due to how hot it is here.

Watertown? MN?

Chupacabra said:
Mike
You hunt metro a lot? The closest I hunt to home is just this side of Watertown. I've got a couple spots over that way. Not too heavily affected by human activity. Otherwise, I do most of my hunting along the WI side of the St. Croix. I've got exclusive access to some pretty awesome land up by Osceola. I've been thinking about looking into some more local opportunities close to home that don't require taking a half day off work for an evening hunt, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Good luck if you're out this weekend!
Darrick

If so, your not far from me. I hunt 5 minutes north of my house (Mound). And 15 minutes west of Duluth at the cabin.

Lookin' for some T.C. oppertunities? I didn't apply this year, but maybe next.
Check this out!

http://www.strictlybowhunting.com/mbrb/index.htm

Lots of Hennepin and Ramsey county hunts.

A lot of the timing we are talking about has many variables, like stand locations from bedding/feeding areas and the actual distance between bedding and feeding areas. This is why people have sucess at very different times...because of very different variables. I have had much more sucess and sightings of bucks in the morning. Generally 7:00-9:00 am. When I see a deer in the morning, it is generally a buck. But I see more does in the evening with smaller bucks. I know it has to do with my stand location in relationship to the bedding area and not necessarily the times deer are moving.

It is my opinion. If you are seeing more does and immature bucks in the morning and/or afternoon, you are too close the evening feeding areas. You are catching mature bucks too late in the morning coming from the food and you are not catching them in time in the evenings before dark when they leave bedding areas.

I shot most of my deer in the morning. My morning hunts generally last till about 11 o'clock .I would say about 80 % were shot in the morning.I go out about 2o'clock for afternoon hunts.

Ray Ray

Yes. The MN Watertown.

Mike Ryan said:
If so, your not far from me. I hunt 5 minutes north of my house (Mound). And 15 minutes west of Duluth at the cabin.

Lookin' for some T.C. oppertunities? I didn't apply this year, but maybe next.
Check this out!

http://www.strictlybowhunting.com/mbrb/index.htm

Lots of Hennepin and Ramsey county hunts.

No. Not too far at all. Thanks for the link! I might have to apply for a couple of those! Am I the only one whose having a hard time concentrating at work this week?

During the early part of bow season I like to hunt the evenings, but when the rut gets here I like the mornings. I can't say I have had more success in the morning or in the evening.

It all depends on where I am hunting. I have one spot that has great action in the morning but not much the rest of the day. I have been hunting that property the most recently.

I prefer the afternoon hunts because I am not much of a morning person, but if I want to be successful, I have to hunt them when they are moving. :wink:

Both of my biggest bucks have come on morning hunts....within 5 mins. of each other on the same day just 2 yrs apart. November 9th, 2002 and 2004.

I'd rather shoot does in the morning also....that way you aren't stumbling around in the dark spooking every critter in the woods. You also have all day to deal with them.

I am surprised at the results...I figured I would be in the minority having most of my success in the evenings.

I depends on the time of the season.

For ME:

Evenings are better for early season.

Mornings are best during the pre-rut through the tail end of the rut.

Then I would say evenings for the late season.

Depends....

During the peak of the rut, mornings are somewhat better......

Rest of the season, evenings get more action.......

I enjoy hunting evenings more.....not bleary-eyed and freezing cold like mornings can so often be.....plus the anticipation of seeing Big Boy grows as the light fades! :wink: :darkbeer:

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Theory

OK, with what I already knew and what you guys have input, I have a theory. Tell me what you guys think.
Deer are mostly nocturnal animals, and especially the older and wiser animals, including the monster bucks.
When hunting pressure is high, the bigger bucks tend to go almost completely nocturnal.
The younger, less experienced deer start to come out earlier in the afternoons to start feeding, where the wiser lay low till dark. During the rut, the bucks are running does and may run them all night and into the morning hours and start making their way home after daylight fighting their urge to be nocturnal because they are so interested in breeding. Thats why we see them in the morning sometimes during rut. Also, when it gets colder, the drive to feed get stronger and may push the bigger bucks to stay out longer in daylight hours or feed more times per day.
The younger are less cautious and feed/browse more when they get the urge and arent so concerned about being nocturnal because they dont have as much experience with hunting pressure.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.