Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Try it and have fun! If you think coyotes are going to come running in all the time you’re in for some disappointment though. And get ready to start spending more and more money on predator calling, it’s addicting. Also, you can probably not “thin them out”, they just keep on coming. Just do it for fun in the off season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree 100 percent , it is addicting . Out west its a lot different , lots of yotes ,open space to hunt and long seasons !As far as calling them in , if no one else around hunts them it really up your odds as they learn quickly and are seldom fooled twice .
I've killed a number with my bow but if I'm going yote hunting it is with a rifle as the plan is to kill some lol
As for optics I go middle of the road but want decent power say max from 12 to 24 , on my two main rifles I have a Vortex and leatherwood on a 223 wylde and Grendel though this year is going to be a 26 nosler added to really reach out and touch them lol Ok I just really want one lol.

My 12 year old daughter hunts with me most times as she has a kind of hatred for yotes, she has pet wild Turkeys and even with a pen that looks like the State Pen She loses one now and then to yotes her favorites weapons are a 20 ga shotgun and a 223 ,she's a better shot than I am.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try it and have fun! If you think coyotes are going to come running in all the time you’re in for some disappointment though. And get ready to start spending more and more money on predator calling, it’s addicting. Also, you can probably not “thin them out”, they just keep on coming. Just do it for fun in the off season!

Excuse the stupid question but do you mean to hunt coyotes during the off season for deer? Also, coyotes can't be thinned out?
Spouse and I are trying to settle an argument.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Hard to thin them out to any real degree with legal methods. They get wise fast. Imo, Trapping probably the best. Baiting second and calling last.

·
Elitist
5,841 Posts
Excuse the stupid question but do you mean to hunt coyotes during the off season for deer? Also, coyotes can't be thinned out?
Spouse and I are trying to settle an argument.
Yes, I hunt them after deer seasons are done and I’m looking for some outdoor time. I agree with the previous post. Trapping is the way to kill the most. Calling and shooting is not very successful.

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
They have tried eradicating coyotes since the 60s, poison and all, basically just spread them all over the country.

They are really fun to hunt but pretty much impossible to control. Check out a book called Coyote America, interesting read.

One could probably help their local deer herd if they shot trapped a bunch just prior to fawns dropping, if they wanted more deer, most places do not need more deer!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this sounds like "a friend of a friend once heard" kind of story, but it is legit. A friend of mines daughter dates a guy who hunts coyotes hard from mid December till late February or March. He's out there 5-6 nights a week. He hunts two counties in Iowa and has killed over 100 coyotes a year for the past 3 years. The first year was over 200, then over 100 the next two years. He's well on his way to another 100 this year. All in two counties. I'm sure the first year put a dent in them, but I do not think that lasted. They will expand to wherever food is, and they will have larger litters if the food supply will support.He does not kill that many because we are overrun with coyotes. It's coyotes from the surrounding areas expanding their territory where the competition is gone.

When I trapped them extensively I would catch coyotes in the same spot consistently throughout the season. I do not believe it was local coyotes cycling through the spot. I believe it was "outside" coyotes expanding their range when the competition was removed.

Coyotes can be contained locally with hard hunting or trapping, but it's like bailing a boat. As long as you keep at it your feet are dry. The second you stop the boat fills up again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Back to the original question. It doesn't matter what equipment you start with, you're either going to be discouraged and quit, or you're going to buy more and more and more coyote hunting stuff. As mentioned before, it is quite addictive.

Give it a try with what you have. There's enough canine hunting information on the internet to get a Phd. Find a way to hunt that you like and gives you some success. It is a good way to spend time in late winter when you need to get outside.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts